Extreme leaning - Turbinicarpus

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
bvdg

Extreme leaning - Turbinicarpus

Post by bvdg »

Hello everyone,

A couple of months ago, I noticed that the Turbinicarpus sp. in the picture started to lean very heavily. It is still the case today, however it is growing and flowering a lot. I was wondering if there is something that I can do to prevent the leaning (for instance provide more shade or water), or if this is a natural phenomenon.

Thanks in advance
Bart
Attachments
picture
picture
Untitled.jpg (50.51 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
Russell99

Re: Extreme leaning - Turbinicarpus

Post by Russell99 »

Some turbinicarpus naturally lean like that, just a natural phenomenon. If they were mine I would let them be as they are
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

I agree with Russell99. The fancy word for leaning is "recumbency" -- looks like you have a Turb pseudomacrochele subs. minimus, which is a recumbent species. Trying to force recumbent cacti to grow in a certain direction usually doesn't work, so it's best to let them grow in whatever direction they want.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

In habitat some similar Turbinicarpus grow among grasses and other plants which provide support and hold them up. They have ev0lved to grow quickly and spindly at the base in order to get their heads and flowers up above the surrounding grasses etc into the light.

The most extreme form is Turbinicarpus subterraneus which to the uninitiated looks as though it was extremely etiolated in the past but that is perfectly normal since rocks and plants hold it up in habitat to the light or otherwise in more open patches as Steve says they just sprawl, often with the head turned upwards.

See:-

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/TURBIN ... raneus.htm
bvdg

Post by bvdg »

Thank you for the prompt replies, and for assuring that nothing is wrong. I have given it a bit more shade to check its natural tendency to reach a more brighter spot.

Kind regards
bartab

Post by bartab »

Is that right? Shouldn’t it get more light?
Russell99

Post by Russell99 »

bvdg wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:28 am Thank you for the prompt replies, and for assuring that nothing is wrong. I have given it a bit more shade to check its natural tendency to reach a more brighter spot.

Kind regards
No, do what you have been doing, it's flowering. The plants in habitat don't always grow in optimal conditions
bvdg

Post by bvdg »

Alright, I have left them as they are, although it seems that rose a bit when crowding the space around it a little more.

Thanks all for your feedback!