Pachypodium brevicaule

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
elizabethdb1992

Pachypodium brevicaule

Post by elizabethdb1992 »

HI, I received this pachypodium last friday and planted it on Saturday in a small pot. I placed it in a spot that receives lost of light but not direct sun, but most of the leaves are dying, they look like burnt. any advice on how to save this plant?
Attachments
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (18.31 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (52.67 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Re: Pachypodium brevicaule

Post by Steve-0 »

Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Looks like the soil is very wet, and not right for succulents. You could have caused rot already, so roots are next to gone, plant leaking, not taking up fluids. I'd say a drastic measure, but rightly so, is to take it back out of the pot and inspect the roots for mushy parts.....and let it dry out completely to start with, it can handle. First things first ;)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I am also not a big fan of the soil I see. It looks like it is a 100% organic soil. You should really try to mix in grit / pebbles at a 50%-50% ratio. That way it will be more draining. The current soil looks like a good way of losing the plant on the long and semi-long run...

Losing leaves for leavy succulents is basically not a problem. The cause could be a problem, if it leads to more than just dropping of leaves. The leaves will regrow at some point. They will drop during winter dormancy every year. But of course should stay on during summer.