Does my prickly pear look etiolated?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Beanarino

Does my prickly pear look etiolated?

Post by Beanarino »

I bought this cactus as just the two bottom pads a few months ago. It was unnamed and I’m not sure what specific kind it is. I love it and I want to keep it healthy!! The new pad that grew looks kinda narrow maybe. Does it seem etiolated? Also, does anyone know why the second pad on the side that is part of the original plant has no spines or new growth? Is it dead?
Attachments
2DD8EA7B-26B0-49B3-8B54-66FD441D3DFB.jpeg
2DD8EA7B-26B0-49B3-8B54-66FD441D3DFB.jpeg (135.98 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
Aloinopsis

Re: Does my prickly pear look etiolated?

Post by Aloinopsis »

It is possibly beginning to etiolate, yes. These are not really indoor plants. They need all the sunlight they can get outdoors or in a greenhouse.

Your soil also looks particularly rich and wet.
Beanarino

Post by Beanarino »

The soil is dry and I water sparingly, but I do wonder if I need a different mix. And a different pot for that matter. I didn’t know anything when I did this and it’s just in a succulent mix from the garden store. And a pot with an attached dish and one tiny drain hole. Is it stressful to the plant repot it again?
Beanarino

Post by Beanarino »

It’s in my office. But I think I might bring it home and put it outside.
We are in the 50s at night still in WI. Should I bring it in at night?
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

If you have a sunny, south facing windowsill, it should do OK. Many opuntias are large, shrubby, vigorous (and spiny) plants, so probably not ideal for windowsills long term.
Many opuntias will be happy with several degrees of frost if dry, so it should be very happy outside all summer.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti