My Epiphyllum oxypetalum bloomed! - Timelapse Bloom video

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
rtb1980

My Epiphyllum oxypetalum bloomed! - Timelapse Bloom video

Post by rtb1980 »

Hello :)

I just wanted to share the video I shot of my Epiphyllum oxypetalum blooming two nights ago. When these flowers bloom they only last for one night so it's a pretty special occasion.
It was such a beautiful bloom, accompanied by a strong, sweet fragrance that filled the room. I'm so glad I was able to capture the bloom and share it, if only I could capture the smell.

This is the only flower that bloomed on this plant this year. There were two but the other flower bud was ripped off by a :evil: squirrel :evil: !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2imGUu0RI1M

I hope you enjoy and please feel free to share! :)

Thanks!
:arrow: Cactus Videos - Please Subscribe :)
lagirafa

Re: My Epiphyllum oxypetalum bloomed! - Timelapse Bloom video

Post by lagirafa »

Beauty!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes nice flower and great time-lapse. Probably the largest of the true Epiphyllum flowers (not the so called Orchid Cacti wrongly named Epiphyllum's) since some can be quite tiny flowers on long tubes.

One of the best set of pictures of the true epiphytic cacti before the hybridisers got hold of them is here. They often tend to be a little more tender than the hybrids and are not as easy to find in trade.

https://www.scribd.com/presentation/556 ... ytic-Cacti
rtb1980

Post by rtb1980 »

DaveW wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:55 pm Yes nice flower and great time-lapse. Probably the largest of the true Epiphyllum flowers (not the so called Orchid Cacti wrongly named Epiphyllum's) since some can be quite tiny flowers on long tubes.

One of the best set of pictures of the true epiphytic cacti before the hybridisers got hold of them is here. They often tend to be a little more tender than the hybrids and are not as easy to find in trade.

https://www.scribd.com/presentation/556 ... ytic-Cacti
Wow, thanks for sharing Dave. So many beautiful flowers! I especially like the Disocactus speciosus ssp. aurantiacus. That would look amazing coving a trellis or porch or something, lol.
:arrow: Cactus Videos - Please Subscribe :)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes the true species epiphytes are a neglected group of the Cactaceae. As soon as they were introduced to Europe they started hybridising them and so the Orchid Cacti were born which were then wrongly called Epiphyllum's since few had much Epiphyllum "blood" in them because the originals tended to be crosses between Disocactus and Heliocereus.

Due to some very cold winters in Europe after they were introduced the more hardy hybrids tended to survive, but the more delicate species died and were lost to cultivation for a time. Not many dealers grow or propagate other than a few species.

Disocactus speciosus in all it's forms was originally placed in Heliocereus, so you may still find it in catalogues listed under that.

By the way great photography with your time lapse.
rdonella

Post by rdonella »

Great video! So nice to see how the flower blooms before my very eyes.