Lithops wrinkling after repotting

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Sandra_75

Lithops wrinkling after repotting

Post by Sandra_75 »

Any idea why my lithops are wrinkling after repotting? They were plump at repotting time.

My previous batch were in a mix of pumice and a little cactus soil. All did fine.

Its this last batch was put in 100% pumice that aint doing as well.

Any help is appreciated.
Attachments
20180820_083557.jpg
20180820_083557.jpg (58.85 KiB) Viewed 9725 times
greenknight

Re: Lithops wrinkling after repotting

Post by greenknight »

Is the potting mix the only difference? What about temperature? If it's too hot they'll go into heat dormancy and try to shrink down to below the surface. If that's the case you should only mist them to help keep the root alive, don't soak the pots since they aren't talking up water in that state. They'll plump up when it gets cooler.

I'd suggest you settle on the one mix that works best for you, and pot them all in that. Don't disturb them again now, though, repot them in the spring after they change their leaves.

Lithops grow when temperatures are moderate - a comfortable temperature for you is also comfortable for them. They shut down when it's too cool or too hot - they can't cool themselves by transpiring water, instead they shrink under the ground to escape the heat. In hot summer areas they're spring and fall growers, and it's perfectly normal for them to shrink in very hot weather.
Spence :mrgreen:
Sandra_75

Post by Sandra_75 »

greenknight wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:08 am Is the potting mix the only difference? What about temperature? If it's too hot they'll go into heat dormancy and try to shrink down to below the surface. If that's the case you should only mist them to help keep the root alive, don't soak the pots since they aren't talking up water in that state. They'll plump up when it gets cooler.

I'd suggest you settle on the one mix that works best for you, and pot them all in that. Don't disturb them again now, though, repot them in the spring after they change their leaves.

Lithops grow when temperatures are moderate - a comfortable temperature for you is also comfortable for them. They shut down when it's too cool or too hot - they can't cool themselves by transpiring water, instead they shrink under the ground to escape the heat. In hot summer areas they're spring and fall growers, and it's perfectly normal for them to shrink in very hot weather.
Thanks so much!

The potting mix is the only thing different. And the temps were more decent on this 2nd round of repotting. It got to 115f which is over 40C when I repotted the first batch. So no clue what is going on. I usually dont water my lithops at repotting if they feel plump.

I dug out this one on the photo because I thought was probably rotten. But I saw new roots growing, they white. BTW if I damage roots at repotting, would that affect the Lithop? I did break a lot of tiny root trying to get as much soil out as possible ... then again i must done that with my first batch too.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If they're plump when you repot them, it should be weeks before they need water. The do need to replace lost roots, but they won't grow roots until there's moisture available, they'll only heal the roots they have left.

A plant in a pure mineral mix will produce a larger root system than one in a mix with organic matter because it needs to take up water more quickly - the mineral mix doesn't retain water as long. You move one from an organic mix to a straight mineral mix, it has to not only replace lost roots but also grow more roots before it has an adequate root system. Obviously, it's going to take longer before it has enough roots to meet its needs than it would in a partly organic mix. This is the explanation for all the wrinkling, I think.

They should do fine in the long run, it just takes them longer to adapt to the more radical change in substrate. Give them time - see how they do this fall and winter, then decide on what mix you prefer.

This is the nice thing about growing them from seed, you have them in your mix from the start. It takes a few years before you have mature plants, but you have no struggles with weaning them off of a peaty mix.
Sandra_75

Post by Sandra_75 »

greenknight wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:11 am If they're plump when you repot them, it should be weeks before they need water. The do need to replace lost roots, but they won't grow roots until there's moisture available, they'll only heal the roots they have left.

A plant in a pure mineral mix will produce a larger root system than one in a mix with organic matter because it needs to take up water more quickly - the mineral mix doesn't retain water as long. You move one from an organic mix to a straight mineral mix, it has to not only replace lost roots but also grow more roots before it has an adequate root system. Obviously, it's going to take longer before it has enough roots to meet its needs than it would in a partly organic mix. This is the explanation for all the wrinkling, I think.

They should do fine in the long run, it just takes them longer to adapt to the more radical change in substrate. Give them time - see how they do this fall and winter, then decide on what mix you prefer.

This is the nice thing about growing them from seed, you have them in your mix from the start. It takes a few years before you have mature plants, but you have no struggles with weaning them off of a peaty mix.
That makes sense about the change of medium. I should just mist those who wrinkled up?

And I have quite a few seeds I ordered 😁 im not sure how to get them going but ill give it a try. I have time to read about it.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Couldn't hurt to give them a spritz late in the evening or early in the morning, in imitation of the dew they'd receive in the wild. They're quite good at absorbing moisture through their skin, some places they grow dew and fog are the only moisture they ever get.

They're easy to grow from seed. They need temperatures in the 60s and 70s f, too warm and they won't sprout. Use the baggie method, like for cacti, they'll grow happily at 100% humidity. Give them bright indirect light, don't cook them in direct sun. They won't ever change their leaves until they dry out, though, the seed leaves will just expand, they'll go from tiny green blobs to bigger green blobs. When they seem to be as big as they're going to get that way, take them out of the bag and start watering them with a mist sprayer. Gradually let them dry out more between mistings, soon they'll start changing their leaves, let them dry more then so the old leaves dry up. They change their leaves several times a year when they're young. When you think they're big enough, transition to treating them like adult plants, might take a couple years. They're fairly forgiving, and the seed is not expensive, so don't worry too much - just feel your way along. Have fun! :D
Sandra_75

Post by Sandra_75 »

UPDATE: So I decided to not wait to repot this Lithop and another one severly wrinkled after putting them in 100% pumice.

They now in a pumice - cactus soil mix. Probably about 1/4 cactus soil. They on a water therapy. After 3 days, they are both starting to plump up again. This one on the photo was the worst. She will need more time to recover. But I will update again with a photo soon on this same post.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If it's a reasonably gritty cactus mix that should work fine. I was a little hesitant to recommend disturbing them again this late in the season, but they'll probably be fine - it's not like you had to tear up the roots to get them free of peat.

As for the seeds, early September is when I prefer to sow them, your timing is perfect.
Sandra_75

Post by Sandra_75 »

greenknight wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:14 am If it's a reasonably gritty cactus mix that should work fine. I was a little hesitant to recommend disturbing them again this late in the season, but they'll probably be fine - it's not like you had to tear up the roots to get them free of peat.

As for the seeds, early September is when I prefer to sow them, your timing is perfect.
It was a easy pull out Lithop and then mix the soil with pumice. First repotting was harder on the Lithop as I made sure to get all the cactus soil out. This time I didnt touch the roots.

My area is usually dry. Esp in winter with all the heating going on. Makes sense I mix cactus soil with the pumice. Most of the Lithops I put in 100% pumice are wrinkled. But I just repotted the 2 heavily wrinkled Lithops. Others ill just water a little more often until I repot in Spring.