Brevipalpus mites - control options?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Subverted

Brevipalpus mites - control options?

Post by Subverted »

I thought I had finally gotten rid of these horrible little things but I noticed one of my Astrophytums looking rather scarred all the sudden and sure enough...the Brevipalpus are back. For anyone who does not know these are very very tiny mites that reproduce parthenogenetically and will scar up your cacti. The last time I had an infestation of these I ended up having to get rid of almost all of my cacti because they just would not respond to any pesticides I tried. Not happy that they made a return right after I started some new seeds.

I have had a lot of luck using isopropyl alcohol on bare rooted plants in the past but that isnt really an option for my yard in general.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions to eradicating these in my yard?
DesertSun

Re: Brevipalpus mites - control options?

Post by DesertSun »

Hello, I am so sorry that those are back! Are the ones mostly referred to as "spider mites"? If they are, they are horrible, it is the one pest I consider the worst. I have a plant right now guarantined, in another room, decided that if it doesn't respond to the douching and spraying with a biological acaricide I did today that I'd rather lose it, and I mean just trash it, than risk all my cacti, succulents and other plants. If they are the usual spider mites they hate the humidity and crave for hot and dry conditions. I hope other members give you a solution that will save your plants!
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
hegar

Post by hegar »

I agree, false spider mites (Brevipalpus spp.) are some of the toughest invertebrate pests to combat.
I wonder, have you tried predatory mites or insects? The chemical miticides, however, should work best, as long as you purchase the correct one for the purpose intended. Some of them kill only the eggs of mites, others the adults, but leave the eggs unscathed. I am not sure, if there is a miticide, that will be capable of ridding you of your mite infestation with one application of one formulation.

Harald
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

I would recommend you to apply Pirate (Basf) (Chlorfenapyr). That’s how I solved my problem with mites.
keith

Post by keith »

I use this https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/tetrasan-miticide. Rotate with some old Kelthane I have for bad infestations.