Saguaro growth rate

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Spikylover

Saguaro growth rate

Post by Spikylover »

What is a realistic size expectation for a cultivated saguaro in 20-25 years if the plant is now around 10"? I know plants in habitat grow half an inch per year but that is because they barely get any water. In cultivation they are well watered and fed and aren't exposed to the extreme environments.
Is something like 2-3m attainable in that short time in relation to a saguaro's lifespan?

Thanks,
Rachel.
Rachel
Gardening with my mother and father in war ridden Syria
DaveW

Re: Saguaro growth rate

Post by DaveW »

I suppose it depends if planted in a bed or open ground, since plants in pots are really Bonsai'd and Carnegia usually has a widespread shallow root system in habitat. Don't despair though, they say the first hundred years are the slowest. :lol:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

You can always try pachycereus pringlei which is much faster. See:
http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
I've seen this thread before and the pictures weren't gone yet and it was crazy. Read the descriptions to get an idea. 10 feet in 10 years. That's your 3 meters! Of course conditions are different. I think he said his saguaro grew only 10".
Edit: you can see current size here along with 20 year old saguaro
http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=15
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Spikylover

Post by Spikylover »

Wow that is crazy!!
I have several cardons but saguaros are better looking and less branched and i've always been fascinated by them since i was a little girl and saw them on the roadrunner cartoon.
Rachel
Spikylover

Post by Spikylover »

DaveW wrote:Don't despair though, they say the first hundred years are the slowest. :lol:
That genuinely cracked me up!! Thanks for the laugh DaveW!
Rachel