What is up with this?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

What is up with this?

Post by WayneByerly »

#1 - This is a Myrtillocactus geometrizans. I have had it since July of 2013.
2013-07-29 1209.jpg
2013-07-29 1209.jpg (64.58 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
#2 - Not sure when I picked up it's smaller companion.
20171115_163526.jpg
20171115_163526.jpg (87.05 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
#3 - But as you can see, at about two and one half feet tall, it has decided to grow an "arm" this year. At least that's what I think it is! Having never seen a picture of a Myrtillocactus geometrizans grow arms before today. So I post this to be SURE that an "Arm" is what this is.
QUESTION: Anybody have any opinions?
20171115_163621.jpg
20171115_163621.jpg (55.54 KiB) Viewed 1974 times

Another question. As you can see by picture #2, it is MUCH bigger at the top than it is at the soil line. So much so that I needed to "stake" it to lend it some support. My question, is this ... should I perhaps bury it another 4" or so in the growth media that Ive planted it in? Or should I just leave it like it is?
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
SnowFella

Re: What is up with this?

Post by SnowFella »

Once they get to a certain size these things start throwing out new arms like crazy so it's perfectly normal.
Don't think I have any photos of my inground one that photobucket haven't killed but last year I had to take a hacksaw to it as it was just getting too large. A year on and it's now busy working on around 40 new arms again.

Image link might not work but should be visible by clicking on it and viewing on the site.
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj5 ... r4xddt.jpg
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

If you bury it you can risk rot. Best thing to do is to stake it or if you don't like staking add a 4" layer of polished stones or something similar.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

Another possibility is to cut it just below the height it began growing spines and root the top. The bottom will surely throw some pups you can further cut off and root or just let them be and see how they develop and the top will be a stronger plant.
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

elieestephane wrote:... add a 4" layer of polished stones or something similar.
I'm going to have to buy a big pot... It was SO small... but, it being one of my favorites, i'll just do what I have to...

Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

jfabiao wrote:Another possibility is to cut it just below the height it began growing spines and root the top...
Mmmmm... I don't know whether I like this idea best or the re-pot & adding stones idea... If I re-root the top I'll still have the problem of more weight at the top than at the bottom, although the bottom would be thicker at that point... but if I re-pot and add stones, it will be so heavy... maybe if I did both...

Either way will call for waiting until spring...
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

If you are using a peat moss and perlite mix (i can't see clearly from the pics) you can switch to a mineral mix which will be heavier and thus anchor the plant better. A mix i use is 70% 3-4mm grit (anything other than limestone) and 30% compost. Works like a miracle! I add perlite or pumice if i have them available.
So if you decide to repot, remove the old mix completely and soak it in a bucket of water. The peat will eventually sink and the perlite will float and u can reuse it. I'd sterilize it first.
Btw, it's one of my favorites too. I didn't get the long spines yet :idea:
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

elieestephane wrote:... it's one of my favorites too.
I adore the waxy blue/green color that the new growth takes on.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

WayneByerly wrote:
elieestephane wrote:... it's one of my favorites too.
I adore the waxy blue/green color that the new growth takes on.
It's very annoying when someone leaves a smudge on a perfect layer of coating ](*,)
Last edited by ElieEstephane on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

My looks like armatocereus because of multiple etiolated areas.
Attachments
DSC_0104.JPG
DSC_0104.JPG (83.64 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

stefan m. wrote:My looks like armatocereus because of multiple etiolated areas.
About 3/4 of my cacti/succulents went outside into a primitive 8' x 16' greenhouse that I built, In the summer of 2016, for that very reason.

The small white device in the lower right corner is a thermostat which controls the heater that you can see at the bottom left. The heat comes on at 40 degrees and it's turned it back off at 45. Just so that temperatures in the greenhouse don't follow the below freezing temperatures of outside. It's already dropped below freezing a couple of times this year. I live about 60 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee in the United States. 35 degrees north latitude.
greenhouse cacti.jpg
greenhouse cacti.jpg (122.81 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

More north than me. Though our climate is pretty weird(this year weve had 80C" degrees min/max difference -39 winter, +42 summer).
Love your collection. Are those dudlyeas or echeverias or aeoniums behind the mammilarias on the lowest shelf?
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Here are a couple of links to google drive folders that show individual photos of my cacti and succulents from both in the greenhouse and from inside, in case anyone is interested. I've no real reason to believe that anyone will, but ... just in case... all of the pictures were taken today, November 16, 2017 ... the cold weather is already having it's effect in lost leaves, etc.

Greenhouse Cacti & Succulents
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ylgpm ... 9nRZNBs6OX

Indoors Cacti & Succulents
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-8voJ ... HH-NSCwO3K