Branching Echinocereus triglochidiatus ??

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Charles

Branching Echinocereus triglochidiatus ??

Post by Charles »

Hello, I have been tending a cactus garden in Sparks NV for 25 years. Today I noticed one on my Echinocereus triglochidiatus (a fat flabby variety from Lincoln Co. NM) is branching !!
It's an older cactus in my garden and has grown to a maximum size. Now it is growing stems from the stems, as opposed from growing new stems from the root. I've never seen that before.
Do I get a medal or what?
Charles
Kamos

Re: Branching Echinocereus triglochidiatus ??

Post by Kamos »

We'd have to see it first :wink:
Neal
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

If you turn over a big clump of E. triglochidiatus you will likely find that the new branches do not originate from the actual roots but from the base of the old stem. They commonly branch from stem to stem but at the base. As a plant gets older and the stems elevated in a dome shaped clump, the stem origin may be in view where earlier it was covered by older growth. Yours are probably quite "normal". If I'm missing something here, a photo would help.
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
Charles

Post by Charles »

Here are three photos.
2nd is Echinocereus triglochidiatus from Lincoln Co. NM. This plant is 20 years old.
3rdis Echinocereus triglochidiatus White Sands variety. This plant is also 20 yrs. old.
1st was taken today of Escobaria vivipara just for fun.
cb
escobarianbloom.jpg
escobarianbloom.jpg (175.46 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
Attachments
branchingetrig.jpg
branchingetrig.jpg (149.61 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
branchingwhitesandsetrig.jpg
branchingwhitesandsetrig.jpg (157.09 KiB) Viewed 1049 times