Identification Request (8 requests) Intro

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Identification Request (8 requests) Intro

Post by WayneByerly »

I'm a newbie at this. I've only been collecting/growing cacti for about 5 years. In that time, I've accumulated < 60 containers of Cacti, some of which contain more than one cactus. Of these cacti, I have eight that did not arrive with identifications. After doing some small bit of investigation, I have found the members of this forum to be fairly knowledgeable and extremely helpful and polite.

And so I come to this forum in hope of finding identifications for my cacti. In order to do so in a fashion that keeps things discrete (one cactus per request, instead of all eight on ONE request, making it difficult to navigate), I have decided to make my requests for assistance in identification in eight separate "posts".

But first, a little bit of info about my collection. I live in Pikeville Tennessee, about 70 miles north of Chattanooga. My plants pretty much stay inside all year long, not having access to a greenhouse. Without the shelter of a greenhouse, it rains too much here in Tennessee to raise succulents.

All of the following pictures of my setup were taken at night. Some with the flash. They were taken with a Fuji-Film S4500 camera producing pix that were 4288x3216 that range in size from approximately 2MB to 5MB, They were edited using Photo Studio reducing their size to 1024x768 and then saved as JPEG's @ 80% reducing their size to 170 to 250KB. NOBODY wants to look at 5MB JPEG's. They take too much time (and bandwidth) to load.

The images that I'm using to request identification, taken by the same camera, used a slightly different format 4288x2416 yielding sizes from 1.1MB to 4.3MB. Again, edited, bringing their size down to 1024x577 ranging in size from 110kb to 200KB.

My windows face to the N.E. therefore, morning sun slants in from left to right and afternoon sun streams in from right to left. I get a total of about 4.5 hours per day of direct sunlight through two panes of glass. Every couple of days, I pull two containers off of the left end of a shelf, slide everything on that shelf down to the left and then replace what i pulled off on the far right. When sliding containers down the shelf, I reverse them from the front of the shelf to the back of the shelf. This way, the cacti share, hopefully equally, in what direct sun comes through the windows.

My lights stay on anywhere from about 12 hrs per day in the winter to 16 hrs per day in the summer. And this does not happen all at once. As winter comes about, I start lowering the number of hours that the lights stay on. When the spring comes about, I start increasing the number of hours per day the lights stay on. My living room and dining room are BRIGHT. I TRULY don't need to worry about S.A.D.

In my living room window, I have two 2-tube 40W fluorescent "grow" fixtures, both of which hang 14-16 inches above my collection. Dependent from the living room ceiling is a 65W CFL (produces as much light as a 300W incancescent) about 4-6 feet above the collection.
Living Room Setup
Living Room Setup
Living Room.jpg (55.47 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Living Room Upper
Living Room Upper
LR Upper.jpg (58.23 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
LR Lower
LR Lower
LR Lower.jpg (72.64 KiB) Viewed 1570 times

In my dining room, I have 4 45W 4500K CFL's ... 1 at each end of each level ... 12 to 16 inches above the plants ... and in what would be the dining room light, depending from the ceiling, another 45W 4500K CFL. A tad higher, but easily variable.
Dining Room
Dining Room
Dining Room.jpg (65.91 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Dining Room Upper
Dining Room Upper
DR Upper.jpg (62.35 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
DR Lower
DR Lower
DR Lower.jpg (86.17 KiB) Viewed 1570 times

Now that you've seen my setup (and I TRULY hope I have not bored anyone here, especially those who might respond), lets get to the images of the cacti I desire assistance with in identification. One per post, for the next eight posts. Please ... keep in mind that THIS post was provided only as information regarding my setup for what THAT might be worth to responders.

Please feel free to respond by posting here, by sending private messages or by sending messages directly to my email:
p.wayne.byerly@gmail.com

Many, many thanks to each and every one of you who attempt to assist. I will endeavor to do the same as long as I remain a member of this forum. Again, your willingness to help, your politeness and your attention to detail reflect well on your individual characters and I give Kudos to you all. Thanks ...
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
bluetexasbonnie
Location: Geronimo, Texas (near San Antonio) Edge of zone 8a - 8b.

Re: Identification Request (8 requests) Intro

Post by bluetexasbonnie »

Welcome to CactiGuide. You have displayed your plants nicely.

What a lot of work moving those babies around all the time.
My cactus must be gods. They demand blood sacrifice.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Nice plants! I'm sure you will get IDs in no time.

You may be surprised as to what succulents do grow outside in Tennessee, despite the rain. I just takes planning beds with good drainage and plants that are hardy in your area! There are some good posts about outdoor gardens on the forum. MJPapay has posted many pictures of his outdoor plants in North Carolina, you may want to check those posts out if for nothing more than inspiration! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=27898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

bluetexasbonnie wrote:Welcome to CactiGuide. What a lot of work moving those babies around all the time.
First, I would like very much to thank you, sincerely, for your very kind welcome. It means a lot to me. You are just another of the many kind responders that have caused me to join this forum.

Now, as to your belief that it's a lot of work. I am sure that THAT remark was facetiousness as I am also sure that you know that any labor of love is not a labor. I get a great deal of pleasure (and I am positive that NO degree of verisimilitude is attained with that statement) from my collection. They are all of them unique in one way or another. Their coloration, both of their bodies AND their spines (as well as their flowers) is just fascinating beyond words. And the fact that they come from (at least originally) from many, MANY, places in the world makes them doubly interesting.

No, moving them around is NOT a lot of work. It's a great deal of a fascination. To possess such a collection of, if not rare (if they were TRULY rare, as many sellers loudly proclaim, then we wouldn't be able to afford them), then at the very least unusual and fascinating plant life.

Such a diversity only confirms my belief in a creator of our universe!
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
bluetexasbonnie
Location: Geronimo, Texas (near San Antonio) Edge of zone 8a - 8b.

Post by bluetexasbonnie »

As long as you enjoy it, that is great. A new twist to an old saying, The best fertilizer is the gardener's fingers.
My cactus must be gods. They demand blood sacrifice.