Opuntia englemanii in S Utah?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
cactoman

Opuntia englemanii in S Utah?

Post by cactoman »

Hi...

I saw a quite large upright Opuntia about 40 miles north of the Virgin River canyon. Large pads, stacking up about 3-4 feet high, dark yellow/orange center flowers.
Is this englemanii, or something else?

thanks...

Ed J
the CACTOMAN
peterb

Re: Opuntia englemanii in S Utah?

Post by peterb »

My guess would be chlorotica? Or maybe a cultivar.

peterb
Zone 9
cactoman

Post by cactoman »

Don't think chlorotica...pads elongated, and no trunk, growing along the ground and growing upward from the ground about 4-5 pads high.
Was growing on the edge of a rangeland off of I-15 in the hills between St George and Cedar City, nowhere near any signs of buildings.
Took a pad and rooted it, will try and get a picture
peterb

Post by peterb »

I checked on SEInet and saw no herbarium records for engelmannii in Utah. But then I investigated a few individual records, some of which were called Opuntia phaeacantha var. discata, which was Benson's name for engelmannii. There's also a few from that general area that have been determined to be engelmannii X phaeacantha, according to Wendy Hodgson. http://swbiodiversity.org/imglib/seinet ... 058999.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

peterb

general map: http://swbiodiversity.org/seinet/map/go ... e=occquery#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zone 9
cactoman

Post by cactoman »

That collection is EXACTLY it...was Exit 30 (Browse UT) on I-15, plant as described on the Herbarium sheet
Thanks so much...

Ed J
the CACTOMAN
peterb

Post by peterb »

You're welcome! I get a lot of mileage out of SEInet, as flawed as it still is at times due to a tangled history of names.

peterb
Zone 9
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Large Opuntia plants in the area you describe are hybrids between O. engelmannii and O. phaeacantha (as suggested by Wendy Hodgson). These are hexaploids and in some areas the O. engelmannii genes are very apparent and dominate. The population you refer to is on the southeast slopes of the Pine Valley Mtns. Similar plants occur through out the Virgin River drainage from Zion to St. George and continues up the Santa Clara River and across to the north end of the Beaver Dam Mtns. They occur with O. chlorotica in Zion, the southeast flanks of the Pine Valley Mtns and north of St. George.

Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
cactoman

Post by cactoman »

The small pad cutting I snitched has made it all the way through our infamously wet winter here near Seattle...think it's a keeper :mrgreen:

Made 3 LARGE new pads and 3 flowers last summer too...