Winter damage

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Joel143

Winter damage

Post by Joel143 »

Hello everybody and Happy Holidays,

I have a question concerning San Pedro cactus. I live in zone 9 in southern Louisiana and I have a 6ft San Pedro in a very large clay pot. With it being winter now I'm alittle concerned. We've only had three days so far whereby it got down to 30 degrees (not including the wind chill) and there was a light frost. My cactus in on my front porch with plenty of other potted cacti but no frost settled on my porch area. I know cacti tend to shrink during the winter period so my concern is at the touch my San Pedro is kinda soft, not on the pups which are midway on up, but the main stalk. The color hasn't changed from its bluish green but I'm alittle concerned that even though no frost settled on it, (with a sheet covering it), could the cold have done damage whereby it is getting "mushy" inside? I do keep them on the dry side. This is it's second winter outdoors in this area although last year I placed thick plastic over the cacti when frost was mentioned. Other cacti in this area are mostly large Ferocactus also in pots.

I know maybe only time will tell but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
hoteidoc

Re: Winter damage

Post by hoteidoc »

Joel - San Pedro's are supposed to be good down to 18F -- but not frost, so sheet should be OK. I've got mine on my glass porch & last Winter it did get that low with no problems! Just went out & gave mine a gentle squeeze & there's a little "give", but no visible wrinkles like O. humifusa or a few of the Echinocer's that "settle" or "shrink" somewhat. I'm guessing you're safe, but as you say...any of these plants are touch & go...
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

hoteidoc wrote:Joel - San Pedro's are supposed to be good down to 18F -- but not frost, so sheet should be OK. I've got mine on my glass porch & last Winter it did get that low with no problems! Just went out & gave mine a gentle squeeze & there's a little "give", but no visible wrinkles like O. humifusa or a few of the Echinocer's that "settle" or "shrink" somewhat. I'm guessing you're safe, but as you say...any of these plants are touch & go...
Thanks for the reply hoteidoc. My mistake in words I should say. What your saying about a little "give" is more like it. Actually there is quite a little give as if a cactus feels from lack of water. With the fluctuation in temp here we are expecting some warmer sunny days next week with just cool nights instead of cold ones. You think a drink of water would be ok? I know they can be heavy drinkers but a light watering couldn't hurt could it? Last winter we had a week here and there whereby I did water them and they dried out by the time cold weather hit again. I will need to keep an eye on the weather channel.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

I probably wouldn't. Although probably 2 different phenomena -- San Pedro cuttings typically will not start rooting until Spring, & some cacti, whether in Summer heat-dormancy or Winter cold-dormancy, won't take up H20! Point being, us humans can't force Mother Nature (or the horse @ the H20 trough!). The old cacti adage (with regards to H20), "If in doubt, don't!" :wink:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Mine grow outside and it got down to 19 degrees for several nights. On the new growth, the tips are damaged and starting to turn brown. Freeze damage. The older parts no signs of damage yet. Last year it had some damage in the middle of the column and now that area is just scarred. Look at the tips, that will be the first signs of trouble. 8)
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

cactushobbyman wrote:Mine grow outside and it got down to 19 degrees for several nights. On the new growth, the tips are damaged and starting to turn brown. Freeze damage. The older parts no signs of damage yet. Last year it had some damage in the middle of the column and now that area is just scarred. Look at the tips, that will be the first signs of trouble. 8)
cactushobbyman - how do yours react to winter rain? I'm debating on planting them in ground since I have them outdoors. My concern is our winters here in my location can be on the damp side.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

My winters rains will reach 11-14 inches max. That's from Sept. thru April. I have heavy clay and the soil can be damp most of the winter. I think most of the rain runs off so the soil doesn't get soggy.