Aztekium valdezii

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
DaveW

Re: Aztekium valdezii

Post by DaveW »

Sorry me misreading the first words (Plantas simples) and taking it for Latin Eduart without looking further and realising it was Spanish, which is obvious now. Guess I need new glasses as I am overdue for an eye test!
Cactinsane

Post by Cactinsane »

OMG!!

It looks so awesome!!
I thought they discovered all cacti?
I must have this ... =P~ hehe
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Cactinsane wrote:OMG!!

It looks so awesome!!
I thought they discovered all cacti?
I must have this ... =P~ hehe
Nope, cacti are still being discovered quite regularly and probably will keep on being discovered for years to come. You won't find this for sale for any reasonable price (or legally) for a few years to come, so it's probably worth just forgetting about it for now. They'll be spewing out of nurseries by the hundred in a few years, no doubt. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

http://www.rarecacti.com/new-items-2014 ... -1382.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sold out :-(
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I wonder if they had any plants at that price to start with since the link refers you to "Gerardo" and their seeds seem dearer than the plant?:-

http://www.gerardo.cz/en/aztekium/20046 ... seeds.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting the recommendations for sowing:-

"Growing the small amount of A. valdezii from seeds: from our experience we recommend you to sow the valdezii seeds together with higher amount of seeds of any other slow grower (e.g. strombocacti or even A. ritteri). The tiny seedlings resist easier the algae invasions and generally thrive better amidst denser population of seedlings. (And there is no risk of confusing valdezii with other plants when getting bigger)"
Awdre

Post by Awdre »

I have seriously been thinking of ordering these five seeds from Gerardo. but I now started to doubth that this is honest site.. after all that the valdesii is so newly discovered. Or what do you think?
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

Can easily be a fake. Aztekiums grow VERY slow. So you may be given ritterii's seeds, you will plant them, grow them an know that this is ritterii's just in 3 years or even more...
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I have traded with Malej Jarda (Gerado) for a couple of years and got my Digitostigma etc from them, plus also met the two of them who grow the plants and collect the seed (Zlatco Janeba and Jaroaslav Snicer) at The Cactus Explorers Weekend in the UK a couple of years ago. One of them was also selling plants at the BCSS National show in 2012. They do collect seed of the latest novelties in habitat, raise the plants and produce seed for sale from them very quickly, since it is often the E. Europeans who find the plants in habitat first before they are even described and named. One of them is editor of one of the E. European cactus magazines I believe, and I think one used to live in Mexico for a while. You will also find their articles in various cactus journals, including the Cactus Explorer:-

http://www.ibiologia.unam.mx/slccs/www/ ... 202009.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have some Strombocactus corregidorae seed from them when I get around to sowing them. As Snowcat says these dust like seeded plants are not easy to grow unlike many of the larger seeded cacti, since moss etc seems to grow in the seed pans quicker than they do, therefore you may be better off with the "baggie" method using sterilised or microwaved compost.

If you get 5 seeds of A. valdezii in a packet you will think they have sent you an empty packet as the seed is so tiny and dust like, therefore you have to be careful opening it up and emptying on top of your compost. Probably examine it with a magnifying glass to even see it before sowing!

http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... 1&t=153791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by DaveW on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Awdre

Post by Awdre »

Yes indeed. I've planned to graft them all on pereskiopsis so would have seen erlier if it would be a ritteri.. If so it would be some expensive ritterii seeds. like 20 euro :P. can't wait for some seeds of that cacti :)
Awdre

Post by Awdre »

Thanks DaveW for your informative answer, I've tried to Google that website and didn't find anything really. Maybe I will order the seeds. And I will post the result here on the forum/ André