source for lithops

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
oldcat61

source for lithops

Post by oldcat61 »

Can anyone recommend a good source for lithops? This is my first year growing them & they all flowered, so I'd like to try more. All mine were white, so I'm looking for yellow. Lots of seeds on E-bay, including a pink flower variety, but I want full grown plants. Sue
Aiko

Re: source for lithops

Post by Aiko »

Check http://mesagarden.com/m2013.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Thanks. They don't seem to list the flower color, so that's a lot of work to cross-reference. I'm a beginner - I need pictures. Sue
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

oldcat61 wrote:Thanks. They don't seem to list the flower color, so that's a lot of work to cross-reference. I'm a beginner - I need pictures. Sue
The most interesting one, Lithops verruculosa 'Rose of Texas': red / pink colour.
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Yes, that's the one pictured on e-bay. But only seeds. Miles2go has some listings but again no pix of the flowers. Sue
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

oldcat61 wrote:Yes, that's the one pictured on e-bay. But only seeds. Miles2go has some listings but again no pix of the flowers. Sue
Why do you want a plant?
With seeds you might end up with dozen more plants than if you would have bought just one. Sometimes you could buy hundreds of seeds for the price of one litte plant. And it will allow you for much more satisfaction, grown yourself.
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

I don't want a dozen of the same thing & I'm too old to be patient. Sue
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

oldcat61 wrote:I don't want a dozen of the same thing & I'm too old to be patient. Sue
And You Need Pictures. . .

take a look http://www.conos-paradise.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best regards

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Astro

Post by Astro »

8 Lithops species have white flowers, all others have flowers that are yellow or yellow with a white center. One has variable flower color (verruculosa). It seems like the most commonly encountered ones happen to be white, although it shouldn't be too hard to come across a yellow one as well. Lesliei, aucampiae, fulviceps and hookeri come to mind and should be easy enough to come by and take care of.

White flowered species as a reference (anything not in this list (29 species!) is yellow (or wellow with white center), some cultivars/subspecies excepted):
julii
karasmontana
salicola
hallii
marmorata
optica
villetii
amicorum
melodies

Post by melodies »

:study: 50+ pages of Lithops... [Lithops overload]

Cool site!
-Jolene

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
-Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Wow - wish that place was in the US. Sue
fenestrane

Post by fenestrane »

oldcat61 wrote:They don't seem to list the flower color, so that's a lot of work to cross-reference. I'm a beginner - I need pictures. Sue
Amazing. I never though of goggling Lithops as "work".