Echeveria 'Lotus' propagation problems!!

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
sixty40

Echeveria 'Lotus' propagation problems!!

Post by sixty40 »

Echeveria 'Lotus' is by far my favorite succulent, so naturally I'd like to clone mine so I can have more than one. However I am having no luck with propagation whatsoever. I have tried getting leaf cuttings and pups to root, but it never works. I let the cuttings callous over for a week and then either plant them in my soil mix or just leave them out of soil on their own. Every single time, the cuttings never produce any roots and simply shrivel up after a few weeks. Has anyone had any experience with this hybrid?? I've attached a few pictures of my lone Echeveria 'Lotus.'
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (41.5 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (78.31 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (57.98 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Last edited by sixty40 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
sixty40

Re: Echeveria 'Lotus' propogation problems!!

Post by sixty40 »

Another recent pic.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.42 KiB) Viewed 3394 times
littlebluefish

Re: Echeveria 'Lotus' propagation problems!!

Post by littlebluefish »

hi
I have not tried this variety but I have had success with getting leafs to grow into starter plants.
Mostly with no effort really on my part... LOL sticking them in the soil seems to not work as well as laying them on the top of soil.
( I used wet sand mixed with some potting soil as a substrate ). I left them in what I call my baby tray out in a sunny location over the summer here in michigan.
I would watch it doesn't get too much sun if your in the south. They do need to callus. It needs to be a healthy leaf nice and fleshy. I think honestly the "trick" if there is one
is heat... ... so wet sand, callus over a healthy leaf lay on top of the soil and let it get warm but not microwaved in the sun. ...

oh maybe i should explain what I witnessed.. the echeveria... do this amazing thing where they send out little spiderweb type hair like roots... first then with a bit of time... they start to form
little plantlett... then they send out a true root system to the soil... seems out of order but thats what I seen over and over... the nourishment comes all from the parent leaf..

now that I think about it I should of tried to see if I even needed more than a sunny windowsill til it sent out the real roots... ... great cool new experiment i will have to try....

funny side story...
I had so many from these simple steps I used all the babies for a under planting on a jade bonsai I did once.. I entered it in the fair and ... get this... it was stolen.... after it own first prize.. the ribbon I was given but the plant long gone...LOL

I figured they must of needed it more than I...

i am new here so I don't yet know how to post pics.... or I would...
FingerPrickinFun

Post by FingerPrickinFun »

How long would you say it takes to get a lone leaf to turn into its own little "plantlet?"
littlebluefish

Post by littlebluefish »

My experience the leaf can produce a plantlet ... (maybe not right term LOL ) ...best guess within a month you see little leaves.
Much like sedums. Sometimes it can seem like its not going to happen then all of a sudden it does nutts and starts growing rather quickly. I have to admit I never timed it. As it for me has been easy to do and fun to watch them grow...
Attachments
grid of different leaf starts I have done
grid of different leaf starts I have done
baby-tray-grid-low-res.jpg (92.18 KiB) Viewed 3254 times
the middle one shows the stolen plants I spoke of
the middle one shows the stolen plants I spoke of
DSCF1718.JPG (69.29 KiB) Viewed 3254 times
larger detail shot
larger detail shot
P1010102.JPG (98.79 KiB) Viewed 3254 times
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

which leafs of the plant have you used? i always use leafs that don't grow any more, but are still firm and fat. with that technique i even had propagated sempervivum by leaf cuttings (pretty hard, from the 10 leafs, only 4 got roots after 2 months)
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing