Peniocereus flowered, but is it johnstonii or marianus???

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
tumamoc

Peniocereus flowered, but is it johnstonii or marianus???

Post by tumamoc »

After about six years with me, this Peniocereus finally bloomed on August 24th. I knew it was either P. johnstonii or P. marianus, and figured the flower would tell me for sure. But I am still confused about the ID. Anybody know this one? The flower is quite small (just over 1-inch diameter) and the scent is unappealing compared to the P. greggii I am accustomed to.

CactusJordi

Re: Peniocereus flowered, but is it johnstonii or marianus??

Post by CactusJordi »

Hi Greg,

now you got me! I am totally puzzled. First of all: a Peniocereus (in your area) shouldn't flower at this time of the year. Second: another miracle is that your plant developed this flower obviously in a shady location according to having a very green flower tube with only very thin spines.
However, due to the small size of the flower and the -at least- little wool in the areoles of the flower tube (P. johnstonii is naked!) it seems to be Peniocereus marianus.

Jordi
tumamoc

Re: Peniocereus flowered, but is it johnstonii or marianus??

Post by tumamoc »

Blooming late August, perhaps my cactus thinks it's growing Down Under :lol:. Anyway, thanks for the input!