Aztekium valdezii

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
DaveW

Aztekium valdezii

Post by DaveW »

This was just posted on the BCSS Forum:-

http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... 1&t=159687" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by DaveW on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Astro

Re: Aztekium valdesii

Post by Astro »

The missing link between ritteri and hintonii? Maybe it should have been named Aztekium luciae? :P
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

DaveW wrote:This was just posted on the BCSS Forum:-

http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... 1&t=159687" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quickly, change the name in the title to Aztekium valdezii, Dave!
Otherwise, before you know it this plant will have too many synonyms going round, like so many other plants...

I think this is quite a pretty plant. Reminds me more of Crassula "Buddha's Temple" than one of the two other Aztekiums, though...
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Oh my! Where can I get one? It looks amazing! :D
Aiko wrote:Reminds me more of Crassula "Buddha's Temple" than one of the two other Aztekiums, though...
Same thought when I first saw it...except of course, a 5-sided one.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Robb

Post by Robb »

wow that's certainly AMAZING news. I might just have to start growing Aztekiums now! :P
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
DaveW

Re: Aztekium valdezii

Post by DaveW »

Changed to valdezii Aiko! I missed that! Need new computer glasses, plus a keyboard where the letters have not worn off!

I usually rely on the spellchecker to pick up typo's, but of course it does not work with words it does not know. :lol:
majcka

Post by majcka »

DaveW wrote:Changed to valdezii Aiko! I missed that! Need new computer glasses, plus a keyboard where the letters have not worn off!

I usually rely on the spellchecker to pick up typo's, but of course it does not work with words it does not know. :lol:
Can you imagine me typing an English language letter to America or to England??? Image
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Your OK sending a letter to America Maja since they spell English wrong anyway, they miss the "u" out of colour and an "i" out of aluminium! :D

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol:

But then we only invented the language! :lol: As they say "two nations divided by a common language"!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ ... ifferences" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

DaveW wrote:Your OK sending a letter to America Maja since they spell English wrong anyway, they miss the "u" out of colour and an "i" out of aluminium! :D

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol:

But then we only invented the language! :lol: As they say "two nations divided by a common language"!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ ... ifferences" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not only do the Brits enjoy adding unnecessary extra letters to their words, they don't know what to call anything either. Ask for chips and you'll get french fries. They think a holiday is something you go on instead of a day on the calendar. And don't even get me started on "flat", "boot", or "lorry"! :lol:

Honestly one of my favorite differences is one most people don't know about. In America we use the word "gotten" fairly regularly. This is an old English word that was still in regular use back in the colonial days, but today has virtually disappeared from the UK but was retained in the USA. A friend of mine in Scotland thought it was interesting when I used that word when I was over there. He is very interested in languages and linguistics so it was almost quaint to him to hear that term in use.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
majcka

Post by majcka »

O my goodnes. I started an American vs. English laguage war. ](*,) Snowfella! you live down under (even not a natural Ausy) Do you have anything to add???? :lol:
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

To quote from the following link:-

"The blame for the ornery orthography of American English (which is even more annoying to its users than to those who speak other variants of the language, because we actually have to, you know, use it) is primary laid at the oft-pedestal-mounted feet of Noah Webster, a nineteenth-century writer, editor, and lexicographer who almost single-handedly created the dialect I will hereafter in this post abbreviate as AE (as opposed to BE, or British English). Webster’s impetus was nationalistic — he desired a distinct language for Americans that they could feel they owned, and one that represented democratic ideals as well.

The problem is, for all his meticulousness, he was maddeningly inconsistent, and the myriad successors who have added to the American word-hoard have followed suit."

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/how-spe ... h-english/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The situation all arose from when people just spelt words phonetically, therefore you could have many variations in spelling (very, verie etc and all were correct). The problem then was a few self appointed academics thought it should be they who determined how words should be spelt by producing a dictionary, but obviously others academics not wanting them to get the kudos for determining spelling produced their own dictionaries which disagreed because they thought their method was best.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/uofc/eduweb/engl ... onunc1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://mentalfloss.com/article/13076/11 ... ey-got-way" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is still a lot of confusion with words written the old way. For instance "Ye Olde Tea Shoppe" would never have been said as most do now, but would have been "The Old Tea Shop" since it was not originally a "Y" in front but the Anglo Saxon letter Thorn which was replaced in printing by a "Y", but represented the "TH" sound. Another miswrite is "Goal" for prison which evidently came about because an illiterate stone carver got the "O" and "A" wrong way round over a British prison entrance, since it should have read "Gaol" pronounced with a soft "G" as Jaol or in modern spelling Jail.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31904/12 ... e-alphabet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No doubt English will continue to disallowed - see forum rules both sides of the Atlantic, since already "text speak" is replacing conventional spelling with many youngsters. So come back in a couple of hundred year and present spelling will probably have changed "U No". :D

A lot of Scottish words by the way are more akin to German.
peterb

Post by peterb »

I find the lamentations on the linked forum to be amusing, regarding how the new species was pictured first on Facebook. It's a brave new digital world, no time for lamentation. :-)

Beautiful new plant, thanks for the heads up. There have been some really interesting new finds in the past few years.

peterb
Zone 9
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

However as they point out it cannot be validly published on Forums or Facebook. I suppose many don't like names being used before they are validly published since there is no guarantee it would be eventually published under that specific name, therefore adds to confusion.
peterb

Post by peterb »

It's still irrelevant. The whole concept of valid publication has itself changed somewhat drastically very recently and will continue to do so. I think peoples' concerns are better directed at the actual botanizing and research, rather than the technicalities of publication. Quite often, those technicalities can be easily remedied. I recently saw some peer comments on a brilliant paper very carefully delineating a new taxa and providing minutely detailed reasons for its validity and the peer comments (coincidentally out of the UK) were niggling, narrow minded, provincial, territorial and obviously based on nothing more than ego and reputation. The reviewer was going above and beyond to pick nits and had absolutely nothing of value to contribute to the actual science of the article. I do understand the value of rules for valid publication as well as a healthy review process, but it seems there is a rather resentful old guard still clutching to some shred of a lot of rather thoroughly discredited work and these same individuals tend to put up some utterly unnecessary hurdles for a lot of truly brilliant field work, multivariate analysis and new insights. Lamenting that a name appears on Facebook before it is validly published is silly by comparison.

peterb
Zone 9
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

actually Dave, if you can get a word spelled right you can add it to a dictionary. So for instance, I got tired of having my spell checker trip when every I typed in common names like Opuntia and engelmannii so what you do is right click on the name and click add to dictionary.. (as long as it is spelled right).. and then the spell check will skip them, but if I spell engelmanni wrong, like this it is picked up. however, sadly it doesn't give me the proper spelling it still says Englishmen. lol
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.