TheORKINMan's Plants Grown From Seed

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Heather

Re: TheORKINMan's Plants Grown From Seed

Post by Heather »

Oh dear. There is such a lot to know isn't there?
So I should leave slow growers to burst their pots? How do you know when to pot on?
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Great growing there TheORKINMan..

Your gona love the trees i love growing lots diffrent types trees especialy the tropicals.
Heres a thread from July 2011 showing some of mine and you guessed it my fave of them all is the Delonix Regia "Royal Ponica" also known as the brazilian rain tree.
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 15&t=22310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its 3yrs old now and doing fantastic but with mine i always whack/prune them way way back come winter when there down in the grow room for the winter months, it helps there trunks get larger/fater and keeps them small enough to make wonderful patio/deck potted trees for my customers. One thing about some of these trees is they DO NOT like being repotted, some will sulk, some will drop all leafs/stems and some just wont live, so heres what you can do, wait till its dark and the trees are asleep, carefully without disturbing the root mass slide the whole thing outa the pot and leave all soil on roots and carefully place it into bigger pot with fresh soil do not pack it down, press very lightly the fresh top soil so its in place. Water well and leave in dark for 2 days.

Thornless Honey Locust are another tree i love there just beautiful in there own way, you can prune them back pretty small to.

Horse Flesh Mahagony is another fav gets really pretty leafs on the stems.

I just loved how they all went to sleep at night closing there leafs or when it rained they knew it was comming and always closed up there leafs tightly.

Heres a pics of mine right now shes due for a much bigger pot, its gloomy and windy today and notice the leaflets are starting to close as more rain comming in. So i took one pic with flash.

Delonix Regia "Royal Ponica" 3 yrs old and kept short.

Growing all sorts plants is very rewarding. :D
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Heather wrote:Oh dear. There is such a lot to know isn't there?
So I should leave slow growers to burst their pots? How do you know when to pot on?
I suppose it isn't an exact science, but as a scientist, I like to try and make it so. :wink: Most won't burst their pots. Ariocarpus can. :lol: If you have a look on the following link then you should be able to see some of Tony's somewhat crowded pots of plants:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23994&start=60#p249759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd say they're probably about ready to get split up. :D That's if you're lucky enough to get enough seeds to germinate and survive to that age. Most pots I sowed previously this year aren't particularly overcrowded and can probably stay in their current pots for a good while. When you get around to sowing then you can make a post and we can give you some more guidance. :) No doubt I make it sound a lot harder than it is.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog