Pictures of expanded Coconut Coir

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
JimHSoars

Pictures of expanded Coconut Coir

Post by JimHSoars »

Hi:

I am looking for some coconut core that is all fibers and no chips. If the fibers are too short they will not hold the grity soil I'm making together. Could you folks post pictures of the coir you use and the brand/name?

Thanks,
- Jim
The plural for cactus should be CACTUS, as in this buffalo and those buffalo or moose and moose etc. (Yes, we US Westerners call Bison Buffalo.)
cefalophone

Re: Pictures of expanded Coconut Coir

Post by cefalophone »

No pictures but I have seen some growers use the blocks used for reptile aquariums. hey are about $4 a block in my area. All you do is plasce them in hot water and wait for it to expand. It is all fiber from what I remember when I used to care for a pet frog.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

The stuff I have comes in block form. There are both fibers and chips. I think you may have to sift out the fine bits. There was no brand name, so I don't know who the distributor is, but it was sold for $10, I think, by a local nursery.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

cefalophone wrote:No pictures but I have seen some growers use the blocks used for reptile aquariums. hey are about $4 a block in my area. All you do is plasce them in hot water and wait for it to expand. It is all fiber from what I remember when I used to care for a pet frog.

Yup i used the same stuff for my frogs and tortoises.
This is what i always used but got mine cheaper in 3 brick packs from ebay.
All fiber..
http://www.petco.com/product/10813/Zoo- ... trate.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

Cocogro by botanicare. Brick form off ebay.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

http://www.gardeners.com/Coir-Bricks/40 ... t=3&q=coir" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)