Uebelmannia Pectinifera

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Jenny29

Uebelmannia Pectinifera

Post by Jenny29 »

Hello,

I would like to show you my newest addition, I already have one, but this one is much bigger. I post some pictures to show how different the cactus colour's looks when its in a different light. I hope this cacti will survive as its in own roots.
DSC_0733.JPG
DSC_0733.JPG (72.6 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
DSC_0739.JPG
DSC_0739.JPG (76.92 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
DSC_0743.JPG
DSC_0743.JPG (47.59 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
DSC_0746.JPG
DSC_0746.JPG (54.8 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
DSC_0749.JPG
DSC_0749.JPG (58.48 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
DSC_0760.JPG
DSC_0760.JPG (55.52 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
DSC_0767.JPG
DSC_0767.JPG (63.99 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
DSC_0770.JPG
DSC_0770.JPG (53.38 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
John C

Re: Uebelmannia Pectinifera

Post by John C »

Very nice! I got my first one last October. They are such pretty plants! Lets hope I can keep mine alive as well!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Looks perfect!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Sutremaine

Post by Sutremaine »

So irresistable... What are you growing them in? I just bought a couple of those (about an inch wide), to replace the two I've probably killed (about that size, judging by the spine proportions). I think I may have smothered them to death, as the 2010-sown Melocactus and the squishy rot-prone species I own and treat like everything else have been doing just fine. Maybe I'll pot the Melo and the Uebelmannia together...?

I'd really like to get a couple to the point I can make seeds and send them off to someone who makes habitat trips. Even if they can't put them in an existing locality, surely there must be some hidden crevices that can be seeded?
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

nice. They're touchy guys. Easy to scar and don't like agressive root trimming and repotting. Also, keep alchohol bug spray solutions away from it. It will turn the skin gray!
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Jenny29 wrote:Hello,

I would like to show you my newest addition, I already have one, but this one is much bigger. I post some pictures to show how different the cactus colour's looks when its in a different light. I hope this cacti will survive as its in own roots.
Oh, I'd just love to get one myself. Trying to get U. pectinifera on its own roots here in the US may, however be difficult. Hmmm, I smell a challenge...
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
hendryterok

Post by hendryterok »

Nice new addition Jenny...
Mine is not so brown as it isnt get so much light

Hendry
John C

Post by John C »

This may be a stupid question, but what causes this particular species to scar so easily? Water? Sun? Heat? All of them? :-k
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I dont know but that is beautiful. Hey Steve, if you find a source let me know :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

That's an impressively grown plant! Great addition. :) I haven't found Uebelmannias overly difficult so far. Mineral mix, frequent watering when they're growing and humidity are all helpful and be sure to keep them warm in winter. Similar treatment to Melocactus'. U. pectinifera is the easiest species in the genus. :)
I'm not sure why they scar so easily, but I think they have a relatively porous epidermis, so their tissues can dry out easily when damaged in any way.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Graham Charles in the UK seems to be able to grow them from seed OK and he says their main need is a slightly acid soil since they don't like alkalinity. Obviously if grown on a graft the stock can usually tolerate neutral to slightly alkaline soils, which is why they are often grafted.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

I'm currently experimenting with them from seed. I've had plenty of germination from 3 different U. pectinifera forms, however only 1 seed has come up so far from U. meninensis and U. gummifera hasn't shown me anything yet. :P Acidic soil is important as well, otherwise the plants don't seem to want to take on water, but trying to mix an acidic mineral mix isn't necessarily easy. I've been supplementing my mix with Iron sulphate, but that might cause Iron salt build-ups in the long term. I might try with using sulphur powder in my mix. Also, DON'T water with hard water. :lol:
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Jenny29

Post by Jenny29 »

Thank you very much for your comments! I also bought lot of seeds from several uebel species, will try to raise them soon.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes they are rainwater only plants really rather than tap water unless grafted, or the tap water is acidified slightly to match rainwater.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

CactusFanDan wrote:That's an impressively grown plant! Great addition. :) I haven't found Uebelmannias overly difficult so far. Mineral mix, frequent watering when they're growing and humidity are all helpful and be sure to keep them warm in winter. Similar treatment to Melocactus'. U. pectinifera is the easiest species in the genus. :)
I'm not sure why they scar so easily, but I think they have a relatively porous epidermis, so their tissues can dry out easily when damaged in any way.
I have a U. pectinifera (perhaps var. multicostata) on its own roots coming from a local source next week. Same pumice/DG mix I've been using for all but my E. senilis. The Melo matanzus seems to really like what I've been doing, so the only difference I'll make is no water for the pectinifera in Fall and Winter. My coastal microclimate seems to be humid enough, although Cactuspedia claims that mist spraying in Summer is "a must" (their words, not mine). I take anything they say with a grain of salt, so what are your thoughts on that?

Jenny -- wonderful choices you have there. Hope you do really well with your pectiniferas, and thanks for nudging me to get one for myself! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)