Can you use a piece of root as a stock?

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Sutremaine

Can you use a piece of root as a stock?

Post by Sutremaine »

I'm just curious, and haven't been able to find anything on Google because the words are too common.

Instead of taking a scion and attaching it to the vascular bundle of the green part of the stock, could you attach the scion to the vascular bundle (or whatever it's called) in a large, woody root?
CactusFanDan

Re: Can you use a piece of root as a stock?

Post by CactusFanDan »

You can give it a try. :) I think the reason for using the main stem is the number of undifferentiated cells in the meristem, which allows for a better join to form. Also, grafts are usually performed on new growth for similar reasons, so woody root tissue is far less likely to take. However, there's a technique called 'Hypocotyl' grafting, which involves grafting the roots of a recently germinated stock plant into the recently germinated scion. There was a good article about it on the web, but it's gone offline now. :( It's a good method for getting 'natural'-looking plants with a good growth rate. There's no visible graft line or stock on plants grafted in this manor. Seems like it would be tricky to do, but I would like to give it a go sometime. :) If I do, then I'll be sure to make an article myself.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog