Opuntia bugs

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Peterthecactusguy

Opuntia bugs

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

http://fireflyforest.net/firefly/2005/12/21/cactus-bug/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I forget where but I mentioned Opuntia bugs.. This is what I am talking about. The picture is of the exact bug that I have seen on, Opuntia, Cylindropuntia, Ferocactus, Mammillaria, and Echinopsis spachiana (think it was from some Opuntia nearby but it was feeding off the E. spachiana)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
billdee

Re: Opuntia bugs

Post by billdee »

Wow!!! They can really do some damage. I've seen some bugs very similar to that here in Wisconsin, but it has orange color on it by the head, or maybe the rear, cant recall at the moment. I think I'll do a little research to try and ID the bugs I see around here that look like that.

We can always sell the damaged plants on e-bay
RARE-LIPSTICK VARIEGATED OPUNTIA :lol:
"There is something fascinating about science.One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact."- Mark Twain(1835-1910)
Peterthecactusguy

hahaha lol yeah. And btw the bug you are seeing is likely an assassin bug, or maybe a box elder bug, those are two that I can think of that would look similar, although, the assassin bug will have a fatter rear.. (they are sorta roundish) and they can bite. Ironically enough I just killed one that was by an O. ficus-indica, and I had two that were on a Mamm.
billdee

Post by billdee »

That's what its called box elder bug. I couldn't remember that for the life of me. Thanks!
"There is something fascinating about science.One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact."- Mark Twain(1835-1910)
Peterthecactusguy

haha, it's fine. I havent' seen one in probably 20 years or more. Every so often in spring/summer we would get so many.. they were annoying, but harmless (luckily)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Best known cactus bug is of course Cactoblastis cactorum. One of the few bugs with a monument erected to it commemorating it's control of the invasion of introduced Opuntia's into Australia. Scroll right down the link to see the monument:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cactoblastis_cactorum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peterthecactusguy

Dave, yup, of course. I have seen pictures of the poor cacti that were damaged by those. And sadly they were brought to Mexico and have spread destruction throughout parts of Mexico, and threaten plants in Florida, one of them, Consolea coricola, which is on the endangered list and threatened by them.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I am pretty sure that the top picture here under "other bugs" is the nymph stage of this same bug.

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactipests/#insects" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't mind having a better photo of this one if anyone encounters them. Try to remember to take a picture before doing them in!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

lol all my close ups were blurry AND I did smear it btw. I am a live or let live kinda guy , but not with those. They can kill an Opuntia if they are left alone, and you get enough of them.

(Daiv) that top picture I think is the nymph stage as well. Next time I see one I will try and get a good close up :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Sounds good and maybe the damage marks too
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

ok Daiv. I will keep my eyes peeled. I have some of the old scars on one of my Opuntia ficus-indica. I will keep my eyes peeled tho :)