Can it be saved?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
tibster

Can it be saved?

Post by tibster »

Hello all,

Just found this site and am hoping you could offer some assistance.

This is the current state of my cactus and was hoping that it may be saved but after reading a few topics I'm not sure it can?
IMAG0028.jpg
IMAG0028.jpg (19.42 KiB) Viewed 826 times
To be honest I know absolutely nothing about the cactus and would appreciate any input you are able to give in identifying and saving the cactus.. I am located in SE England if anyone is aware of any nurseries who have the expertise to assist in my recovery efforts.

Thanks again.
iann

Re: Can it be saved?

Post by iann »

There's probably something that can be saved but you'll probably have to get your knife out! Is it mushy at the base? Is the floppy top bit gone mushy? You need to chop out any mushy bits, cut right back to clean green flesh. Sterilise the last cut. Then leave it alone for a few months. It might even be next spring before you get roots.

Then you plant it up in better (meaning worse!) soil, a sunnier spot, and away you go.
--ian
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

I think that's a Euphorbia, not a cactus the ribs say that at least, any opinions? - if it is, careful with the white sap if surgery is required.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Pretty sure a Euphorbia. Would cut @ "kink", but wear some sort of "rubber"/safety gloves. Dowse each end of cut with cold H20 or ice cube to slow white sap flow. Then could try to root cut end -- or not, they tend to be slow rooters if cutting not made during growing season. :roll: New growth will come out various places, as well as just below cut.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

hoteidoc wrote:Pretty sure a Euphorbia. Would cut @ "kink", but wear some sort of "rubber"/safety gloves.
Eye protection would be a good idea, too.
Every day, after supper, Granny walks two miles. We haven't seen her in years.
tibster

Post by tibster »

Thanks for the replies and the advise.

I am off to the garden centre for some new soil, the roots look pretty healthy to me, which I am hoping is a good sign? It does seem to be 'mushy' along one rib and around where it has bent. The others appear to be solid, although a little faded green colour. The base has a small split on one edge and a little patch of black spots, which I am assuming is soft rot and can be cut out?

Thanks again, and thanks for the heads up with the protection.