Do you appreciate spring?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Peterthecactusguy

Re: Do you appreciate spring?

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

hahaha Danny, I think my daffodils are like WTF? hahahaha about 4 weeks ago it was trying to snow here.. and was just rain and 5 weeks ago or whenever that was we had snow at least 1/4 of an inch anyways which is like a blizzard here lol ... This week it's been in the 80s and 50s at night. It's so pleasant! :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

It seemed spring has sprung a week ago. But now it looks like we will get another week with nights of -5C / 23F. So I have to wait another full week before I can safely start sowing my mesembs...
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Here is the 10 day for my zip code: ](*,)

Date - High / Low
Teusday 19: 18F / -2F
Wednesday 20: 14F / -4F
Thursday 21: 21F / 3F
Friday 22: 27F / 14F
Saturday 23: 34F / 18F
Sunday 24: 34F / 19F
Monday 25: 32F / 16F
Tuesday 26: 32F / 5F
Wednesday 27: 30F / 21F
Thursday 28: 32F / 21F

Celsius
Date - High / Low
Teusday 19: -8 / -19
Wednesday 20: -10 / -20
Thursday 21: -6 / -16
Friday 22: -3 / -10
Saturday 23: 1 / -8
Sunday 24: 1 / -7
Monday 25: 0 / -9
Tuesday 26: 0 / -15
Wednesday 27: -1 / -6
Thursday 28: 0 / -6
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

daiv wrote:Here is the 10 day for my zip code: ](*,)
This is mine for the next two weeks (in C, the big black line is the freezing temperature):

hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

I think us "Northern" types just get numb, mentally go into hibernation mode, & then semi-waken in March -- which is usually the most painful, because now we're not numb any more & actually "think" @ Spring! Awesome Stats, Daiv! I can handle Cold (altho wallet for fuel oil is tough), as long as I see Blue every 3rd day. So in that sense, we had a pretty good Winter in this area. Of course if you're a Snow Junkie -- whole 'nother story! X-country skiing is only an "adaptive behaviour" for me & Upstate NY Winters are not what they were in the '60's & 70's -- nor am I! :roll: Redwing Blackbirds are back -- so it's "official". Next serious stage -- Spring Peepers! (probably a month away)
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

OK, I took some video today of the "First Day of Spring":

iann

Post by iann »

No minus signs. That has to be good! Supposed to snow here tomorrow night quite heavily, but it will be wet and nasty snow.
--ian
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Screw that, you can have it :lol:

Its going down to 50F tonight and I am not pleased :wink:

Been in the mid 80s quite a bit now, daytime.
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
billdee

Post by billdee »

The last two days here morning temps were below 0°F with the wind chill factor, so you betcha I appreciate spring. Well wait a minute! I live in Wisconsin, so I have to wait until we're a little bit further into spring before I can start to really appreciate it.

Daiv I betcha can relate to that.
"There is something fascinating about science.One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact."- Mark Twain(1835-1910)
Peterthecactusguy

LMAO I willingly live in Arizona, and Daiv willingly lives in Minnesota. There are ways to cope with the cold ya know. it's called move to where it's warm. I was sad that it was 78F today. it broke our string of 80F days ... It was also chilly last night at around 55F.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well it isn't so much the winter that bothers me. I do not mind having a real winter at all. However, this year is a little overboard. I went back and looked at some pictures I took last year.

Here is one from March 17th. This is the lake right down the street. When it gets dark like that, it is almost gone. I think it was completely ice free in 1 or two days after that. This year you could still drive a car out on the lake today March 21st! And based on the forecast, you will still be safe driving a car on the ice on April 1! And who knows how long it will go beyond that. There is currently no relief in sight.
ice_out.jpg
ice_out.jpg (194.33 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
majcka

Post by majcka »

daiv wrote:Well it isn't so much the winter that bothers me. I do not mind having a real winter at all. However, this year is a little overboard. I went back and looked at some pictures I took last year.

Here is one from March 17th. This is the lake right down the street. When it gets dark like that, it is almost gone. I think it was completely ice free in 1 or two days after that. This year you could still drive a car out on the lake today March 21st! And based on the forecast, you will still be safe driving a car on the ice on April 1! And who knows how long it will go beyond that. There is currently no relief in sight.
ice_out.jpg
And they say we have a this subject is not allowed!!! ](*,)
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

majcka wrote:And they say we have a this subject is not allowed!!! ](*,)
Yes please! :cheers:
Peterthecactusguy

seems a pretty normal temps for this time of year. Maybe a touch above normal but keep in mind that those are average temps, and so the range can be great.
majcka

Post by majcka »

majcka wrote:
daiv wrote:Well it isn't so much the winter that bothers me. I do not mind having a real winter at all. However, this year is a little overboard. I went back and looked at some pictures I took last year.

ice_out.jpg
And they say we have a this subject is not allowed!!! ](*,)
Sorry. Didn't even notice it. If that is not allowed, so be it. :oops:
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook