What's up with Echinopsis brevispinulosus?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Minime8484

What's up with Echinopsis brevispinulosus?

Post by Minime8484 »

I just received a 2 ft long cutting of a plant that was given to me as Trichocereus (=Echinopsis) brevispinulosus.
Although it matches pics on the web of this species, it is not listed on cactiguide.com or in Anderson's The Cactus Family, even as a synonym.
It appears to also be found under E. harrissima, but that also doesn't seem to be a valid name that I can find.
It looks quite like some photos of E. lamprochlora, but I don't see any mention of that relationship.

Anyone able to give me a background on this plant?

Thanks for any info!
Cheers,
Tristan
phil_SK

Re: What's up with Echinopsis brevispinulosus?

Post by phil_SK »

The first two are unpublished names. Lamprochlora is a bit of a doubtful name (based on a young plant of unknown origin in cultivation - never a good idea) but, according to the New Cactus Lexicon, plants in cultivation are usually candicans although I'm growing seeds of http://www.succseed.com/seeds-cacti/tri ... -915m.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which doesn't fit with my mental image of candicans.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Thanks for that info - very helpful!
Looking at my plant some more, as well as additional photos from the web and descriptions from Anderson's, I'm wondering if the plant is closer to E. schickendatzii. I'll take a photo and start a thread in the Cacti ID Sub-forum to get some additional input.
Appreciate the help!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

It doesn't help that lots of Echinopsis species look more or less the same. The flower and distribution are almost critical to ID many of them.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti