Rhipsalidopsis rosea..? What is your REAL name?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
PeterSpain64

Rhipsalidopsis rosea..? What is your REAL name?

Post by PeterSpain64 »

About 34 years ago my sister bought a plant of what was labelled "Rhipsalidopsis rosea" at the local village shop in NW England. 34 years later, in southern Spain, I have the only surviving one of many cuttings taken from this plant, most of which died from neglect despite enduring some amazingly low winter temperatures over the years. Needless to say, I am lovingly nurturing my plant! I´ve noticed that on CactiGuide "Rhipsalidopsis" isn´t mentioned. Has the genus been merged into something else or did it never really exist? My plant has compact untoothed jointed stems like a miniature Schumbergia and is smothered with clear pink flowers in Spring.
Peter
Pilif

Re: Rhipsalidopsis rosea..? What is your REAL name?

Post by Pilif »

Rhipsalidopsis rosea is considered synonymous with Hatiora rosea

Edit: The genus Rhipsalidopsis was created by Britton and Rose just for this species; apparantly they didn't really know what to make of it :wink:
Filip
Jademan2012

Post by Jademan2012 »

This might be helpful.
http://cactus.biology.dal.ca/paulC/roseEaster/rose.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PeterSpain64

Post by PeterSpain64 »

Pilif wrote:Rhipsalidopsis rosea is considered synonymous with Hatiora rosea

Edit: The genus Rhipsalidopsis was created by Britton and Rose just for this species; apparantly they didn't really know what to make of it :wink:
That´s great - thanks so much for solving the mystery for me :)
PeterSpain64

Post by PeterSpain64 »

Jademan2012 wrote:This might be helpful.
http://cactus.biology.dal.ca/paulC/roseEaster/rose.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link - it´s a very interesting article with some great pics. The writer obviously nurtures his plants a lot more than mine were in the past (surviving regular frosts in England, etc!). Useful tip in there about softening water with vinegar - we´re on dolerite limestone here.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

PeterSpain64 wrote:I´ve noticed that on CactiGuide "Rhipsalidopsis" isn´t mentioned.
There is a link to an alphabetical synonym list on the top, center of the home page.

http://www.cactiguide.com/synonyms/?initial=R" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti