Vermont is hoping for more in 2012

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
fanaticactus

Re: Vermont is hoping for more in 2012

Post by fanaticactus »

I recently got around to planting another O. humifusa and a C. imbricata argentea in the garden. I've also placed another O. polyacantha and a second C. imbricata arborescens where I want to plant them. Is it too late in the season to do that now? Also, the new growth shown on my new O. "Little Monk" from Andy_CT was knocked off by some pest so I'm hoping that will root by itself. Andy's Echinocer reichenbachii seedlings and his other O. hybrid pads failed to show much growth this summer, although they're firmly rooted. They all plumped up a bit, though. Does anyone think I should cover them in mulch for the winter to protect them? I've never had anything so small in the ground during the winter, and I want to be sure they'll survive a Vermont winter. I know the soil level is low now; I will be filling it in with a mix of topsoil, gravel and probably perlite during the next couple of weeks. I decided to go with no additional weed-blocking fabric. Thank you, Andy, for helping me make a fine start in my outdoor cactus garden; everything except the humifusas came from you!
DSC02496.JPG
DSC02496.JPG (181.27 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
DSC02497.JPG
DSC02497.JPG (116.1 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
DSC02498.JPG
DSC02498.JPG (103 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
DSC02499.JPG
DSC02499.JPG (180.51 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
DSC02500.JPG
DSC02500.JPG (181.57 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
DSC02501.JPG
DSC02501.JPG (164.98 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Looks great, Dave! I miss the Gillardia I had in my other garden for years -- adds nice late summer color. I was generously given several cv.'s of O. fragilis mid-summer. They all have put out @ least 1 small "pad". Several of the O. polyacantha's, erinacea, & aurea only added one pad. The santa-rita's (from Lowe's) went wild, as well as the O. linguiformis! 2 wks ago I stuck in small Ag. havardiana, A. neomex. & A. parryi in new CH bed. They'll be "protectors" for seedlings to go in next summer. Today I really went off the deep in & stuck in a large (Arizona Cactus) 8" Fero. wislizeni against south foundation of house. Has chimney outset for close protection & garage is offset to southwest. Have a large low stool for rain protection in case rain comes straight out of south (very rare). 1st time I've ever (or had $) spent serious $ on a plant, but absolutely did not have the patience to pot & wait until May to put in ground. Figured I could just as easily kill this winter as next :roll: Also put in a Ag. utahenis in the new CH bed. So here' hoping our late plants all make it & esp. hope us Nor'easters get either more sun or more cold this Winter than last! 8)
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

You sure have been busy, Peter. And you have a nice variety of cacti & succulents in your garden. Let's hope winter is kind to them and they'll flourish next year. I'm also praying for a late fall and winter because I have just planted some more outside as well--see next post.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

I wanted to beat the rain today, so I hurried to plant the last two I had in pots, filled in more soil and gravel and did a rough landscaping. I'll let the rain pack it down tonight and tomorrow and see how close to "natural" it looks. I'll be getting a few Semps from Andy_CT, which will be the last in the ground for this year. Some of the smaller ones may be difficult to see against the gravel, but that just goes to illustrate Nature's camouflage techniques. A few of you have mentioned the Gaillardia as a good complement to the garden. At least they will carry the color into the late summer and early fall; perhaps unfortunately they won't be blooming at the same time as the cacti.
DSC02535.JPG
DSC02535.JPG (94.09 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
DSC02536.JPG
DSC02536.JPG (138.49 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
DSC02537.JPG
DSC02537.JPG (73.95 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
DSC02538.JPG
DSC02538.JPG (159.01 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Man, can you pic what this is going to look like in 3 - 4 yrs =D> :D . We're gonna look like all the other Southwestern "pros", Dave! :wink: Gaillarida shouldn't get "revved up" until most of your O's are thru blossoming.
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Well, I hope it turns out even half as good as I imagine. Next year I'd like to add some more Echinocer and maybe try my hand at a couple of Escobarias. The challenge will be to find a nice little spot where they won't be covered up as these larger ones spread. :-k
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Good stuff - let the cactus expansion continue!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

hehe they are cute when they are little :) 5 years from now that will be a forest :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

So, Peter, when should I stop planting? :laughing6: :wink:
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Peter's probably saying 1/2 that number of plants, ago... :wink: :lol:
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

I guess y'all have high hopes for my little plot. I honestly had no idea it would get that crowded with the number that I've already planted. I know the Opuntias will spread and the Cylindros will get taller and bushier. I figure I can always keep them somewhat under control by giving away pads and branches (until Vermont becomes known as the Desert of The Northeast). The Echinocers will just get taller and a bit fatter. I'm now trying to intersperse some Sempervivums that Andy sent to add interest and texture. Maybe that's going too far and I should find different spots for them.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

I really have a similar planting situation, Dave. Will try to post pics later today. I'm already eyeballing where they're going to get transplanted to in the next 2 years, but with a new 20 x 15' CH bed (that's only got Yuccas & Agaves getting established as "Protectors" ) , it will be THE spot for all testing/killing of Opuntia's & my Echincer. seedlings) Have several O. fragilis cv's that the donator claims the "establishing" containers I have them in will be "overflowing" by end of next Summer! :D
And since I'm closer to the "Wild, Wid West", I was hoping to grab the title you were shooting for 1st. Hopefully, it will be a "tie" :D :lol: Doing final repotting today, since outside of 30% chance of showers a few days from now, we're supposed to be into a week of virually no precipe!
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

I don't know how many more pictures I'll be able to get of the outdoor garden before the snow comes. But at least the cacti know it's time to lie down and prepare themselves for winter's eventualities. Visible in this photo are a couple of Echinocer. baileyii seedlings, an O. polyacantha, a C. imbricata arborescens and an O. humifusa. Thanks, Andy, for all of them!
DSC02647.JPG
DSC02647.JPG (110.14 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

Have enjoyed catching up with your posts here.

Your have given your cacti a nice home - and they compliment you with their flowers.

Thanks for sharing!

Now that the cacti have prepared for a winter rest, will the gardener get a reprieve as well?

I reckon the Vermont snows will keep you busy, eh!
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

I sure hope I can get a rest, MJ. It'll give me a chance to attend to the interior of the house, which still is not exactly the way I want it after moving here full time as of last April 2. The garage and a storage shed are still chock full of cartons of stuff we shipped up from Westchester Co., NY. We just don't want a cluttered home and we were big time collectors of stuff to display. Anyway, I am not a winter person (ironic, then, my living in Vermont!) and our property manager/builder/handyman/good friend will plow and shovel us out as needed. I can't do any of that, having had lower back surgery 11 years ago and recently having torn my right rotator cuff. I'll be happy to sit inside reading, revising my cactus inventory and planning for next spring & summer.