Need help with my computer modem.

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
martenfisher

Need help with my computer modem.

Post by martenfisher »

I need a router that does not transmit. I only need something to split my modem so I can plug my computer in one spot and my magic jack plus in the other. Does anyone know how to do this? I was looking at network routers but I do not know if they can be used for this application.
SnowFella

Re: Need help with my computer modem.

Post by SnowFella »

Not fully getting what you are thinking here, is it something along the lines of a simple Ethernet hub?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_hub" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
martenfisher

Post by martenfisher »

Not sure I understand stand what any of that is telling me. I don't get some of the lingo. I need to be able to split my internet up to several devices. The only things in the stores are internet routers. They have the ports I need but give off a wireless signal that I don't need. I bought one but it kept interfering with my internet and I had to keep resetting it by unplugging it and plugging it back in. So what I want to do is split my internet up without giving off a wireless signal or having to keep resetting it. I need to plug my computer into one socket and my Magic Jack plus into another socket. Here is a video of the Magic Jack plus in case you don't know of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDY-52bo ... re=related
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Well, an ethernet hub simply just splits the excisting interner connection over how many ports it has. I used to run all 4 computers in the house through one of them before getting the laptop, modem plugged into the hub and feeding 4 separate network cables. Radio shack ought to have hubs laying about and nowadays they are cheap as chips, can find em new in box through ebay for $10 down here. An Ethernet switch is alittle bit smarter than a hub but does virtually the same thing, splits one internet connection into several.
Never heared about a Magic Jack before but from what I can gather it's more or less just a VOIP (Voice over IP) box that can work without a computer
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I'm a little confused too, I think what you need is the hub, but I am not sure what a magic jack has to do with the internet at all. That is for telephone lines. Do you use dial-up internet?
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
martenfisher

Post by martenfisher »

I have road runner internet DSL. I have not a phone landline in over10yrs. I have had magic jack for over 5 yrs. The old magic jack plugs into the computer and you plug in your phone. The new magic jack plus is the same device but now is its own computer and you can plug it into the modem. Magic jack does not function on land lines or dial up modems as far as I know.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Well, since I'm not familiar with the system in place I shouldn't really comment on it, hate to make a suggestion that won't work in the end. Might be a computer nerd but knowing how many vasty different ways of doing things there are I'd be best of bowing out.
Case in point, brought a cordless phone with me from Sweden to Australia when I moved...worked a treat while we still had dialup internet but as soon as we switched to DLS the gremlins appeared. With the differences in our telcom setup the old phone just wasn't compatible, Australia needs a filter on the phone line while Sweden needs the filter to be on the internet line...or maybe it's the other way around, all I know is that it's working since I took the old phone out :oops:
martenfisher

Post by martenfisher »

Magic jack if you use the USB option can plug into any computer world wide. Even a wireless laptop. The new modem option really changes things up.
sluefoot

Post by sluefoot »

I watched the video and understand that an internet router is required. I do not use Roadrunner and have only considered getting MagicJack for an Aunt, so take this with a grain of salt.

My router (Netgear N-150) has an option that allows the wireless part to be disabled. I am not recommending NetGear, just that's what I have. If you buy a router, ask the clerk if the wireless part can be disabled.
It is my understanding that there are routers with no wireless feature but I don't even know any brand names.

HTH,
John
I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired.