New Kind of Spam

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
hoteidoc

Re: New Kind of Spam

Post by hoteidoc »

I guess that's a level of technology I don't understand, nor care to, but then it still gets back to $$$ :wink: I just try to focus on the 98% that's "right" -- like the CF & the people on it, bringing it to us (like you & your "support team", the humor, the giving freely :D . Saw Iann get really flamed by incredible ignorance & oversensitivity of a "first-timers" a couple of days ago. So rare & yet I've definitely come to appreciate the depth of his knowledge. I remember a few years back (while reading archives) some one being a jerk & getting under your skin :wink: Oh Well... Life is Good! 8)
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

woakleysunglasses has been spamming afair few topics through the forum now, might be an idea to polish the old jumpboot on his/her rear end I think.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

SnowFella wrote:woakleysunglasses has been spamming afair few topics through the forum now, might be an idea to polish the old jumpboot on his/her rear end I think.
Agreed -- just saw this:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/memberl ... ile&u=5368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thanks guys, the spammer is gone. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Another one going now, helicopters spamming away all through the forum.
Tony

Post by Tony »

"helicopters" Is gone.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Have another troll for you here:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/memberl ... ile&u=3838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=20641" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; spam is in this topic, 2nd to last post under mike.emma or emma.mike can't remember their name.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Peterthecactusguy

there is a new one in general in a post from 2005.. WTF..
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:there is a new one in general in a post from 2005.. WTF..
Yeah, that's emma.mike. The troll I was talking about yesterday, the idiot's signature on his latest post links to something about online loans.
Nkomo-A-Gogo

Post by Nkomo-A-Gogo »

is it possible to only let a member have a signature after they have had a reasonable amount of posts.

Also have a report as spam function so that if say, 10 members dislike a post for being spam its automatically deleted and the spammer executed.

Probably easier said than done though.
All succulents are cacti but not all cacti are succulents.
majcka

Post by majcka »

Nkomo-A-Gogo wrote:is it possible to only let a member have a signature after they have had a reasonable amount of posts.

Also have a report as spam function so that if say, 10 members dislike a post for being spam its automatically deleted and the spammer executed.

You can have a signature. Only yours have a strange meaning. And not true as far as much I know about suculents and cacti matter. :wink:
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Nkomo-A-Gogo wrote:is it possible to only let a member have a signature after they have had a reasonable amount of posts.

Signatures just by themselves are fine. The offense is when new members use them as links to advertising that has nothing to do with what the forum is generally about. The only way to counter it is report posts by spammers on this thread. As the site admin, Daiv does a really good job with shooting down spammers, but it needs to be a cooperative effort.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Steve, thanks for the help here and others too. Part of the problem is that I'm starting in on the ultra-crazy-busy time of year preparing for winter. Got a lot to do over the next month and then I can breathe a big sigh of relief. In any case, I don't think we need to make any major changes with only a few spams slipping through the cracks.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

Daiv,
I only report them because I know that a few will slip through. I am one of the people that dislikes on-line ads, pop-ups and spam. I know you are busy so a few slipping through doesn't bother me, I just like to report them so that they go away. Who knows what kind of viruses or other problems people can encounter from those spammers. I know enough not to ever click on the links, but others might not know. Since Cactiguide has a large and wide number of users I would assume that many of them aren't as good with computers and know as much about the internet as some of the younger members do.