An old, but REALLY awesome book!

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
Aichybatoal

An old, but REALLY awesome book!

Post by Aichybatoal »

For my birthday, I recieved an old book called Cacti as Decorative Plants. But when I opened it, I realized that it was much more than just a "decorating with cacti" book. It has a whole section on cacti in general - plant shapes, colors, and sizes, where cacti come from, what they are, flowers, a list of cacti - which is pretty basic, but for a n00b like me, it's a great asset. Then there are 4 sections on decorating with cacti that I don't care about. Then, it has a section on caring for cacti - soil mixtures, light and temperature, repoting, watering, feeding - a section on other succulents, a section on cuttings, propagation, and diseases, some popular cacti, and the best part: A month-by-month guide to cactus care. This book is like a cactus bible! It's got everything from mealybugs to what to do with an epiphytic cactus in April. Unfortunately, the book is from 1973, and probably wouldn't be easily found. If you ever stumble across Cacti as Decorative Plants by Jack Kramer, buy it - it's much more than meets the eye!!
Don't underestimate the Dancing Boomerang Clam.
gemhunter178

Re: An old, but REALLY awesome book!

Post by gemhunter178 »

This book?
My copy of Cacti as Decorative Plants.
My copy of Cacti as Decorative Plants.
DSCN3439.JPG (155.68 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
It's pretty good for an old book. I like the Leuchy on the cover though.
I do prefer others though....
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Aichybatoal

Re: An old, but REALLY awesome book!

Post by Aichybatoal »

Yeah, that one! I know there must be other books dedicated specifically to cactus CARE, but you gotta admit - this one's not bad.
Don't underestimate the Dancing Boomerang Clam.