Seedlings w/100% gritty mix (Final UPDATE)

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Sharpy

Re: Seedlings w/100% gritty mix

Post by Sharpy »

iann wrote:The tricky bit is then growing them on fast enough to reach a robust size, but without killing them along the way.
That right there is 1 million percent my way of thinking :D There is a "fine line/balance" that can be found with any single thing you try to do. And that line is what I search for.

If I can't get any color changing response then I will definitely look into more lighting and more cooling for the chamber.
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
Sharpy

Re: Seedlings w/100% gritty mix (update)

Post by Sharpy »

Sorry been unavailable for a while. Update time.

Due to all the outside stuff going on I failed to fertilize the Parodia very much and probably left the in the bag to long. Lost most of them. No biggy, was all part of the learning.

Overall horrible germination rate :(

Would like to know if the size is about right for the age. Do not know if they are growing slow or fast.
Largest one is 1/4" across, 7 weeks old.
Largest one is 1/4" across, 7 weeks old.
A. Myriostigma Kikko 8-6-12 1.JPG (88.87 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
Oldest one.
Oldest one.
A. Myriostigma Kikko 8-6-12 2.JPG (44.65 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
1/2" 10 weeks.
1/2" 10 weeks.
A. Myriostigma Nudum 8-6-12.jpg (63.93 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
3/8" 10 weeks
3/8" 10 weeks
S. Multicostatus 8-6-12.jpg (57.06 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Germination might be low, but what you have look great. Besides, you didn't really want 1000 Parodia anyway :lol:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Yeah the Parodia where just gonna be give aways if they made it.

Have a batch of A.Myrio Hakuun that didn't germinate at all. Have them drying out and pulled the couple that had obvious problems. Hopefully some of them will pop with a second try, or a 3rd if need be. Is there a average amount of time to let them dry out before trying again?
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

I'm only in my 1st sets of propagation (Jan 5), so can't help you with that. Lots of other experienced propagators will help! :D
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
iann

Post by iann »

They look good for that age.

Leave them dry for a few months if you can.
--ian
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Looks like a possible problem. Just noticed this yesterday. The side/base is developing a crease and sinking in. It appears to be worse today then yesterday.

Pull it out to see whats going on with the root system? Possibly to much or to little water? It seems to be a little soft at this are if you press lightly on the side of the plant. The rest of it still feels firm.

I have to admit that the top dressing layer of turface fines are not wetting like it originally did. Not sure if this is due to a build up particles from the distilled water that I am using. Instead of the water just wicking right thru it is tending to perch on top for a bit before soaking in.

Edit - Forgot to add, water frequency is every 3 days, watering thru. 1/4 strength fertilizer. Skipping the fertilizer every other watering.

Hope these pictures show it properly. Not the best lighting.
A. Myrio-Prob-1.jpg
A. Myrio-Prob-1.jpg (49.94 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
A. Myrio-Prob-2.jpg
A. Myrio-Prob-2.jpg (50.09 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
Suggestions?
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Well I felt like I should act now. If it was the wrong thing to do, then so be it. Not every seedling is going to live, lol.

Looked over Kada's page on seedling problems and this sure seemed to fit dehydration. I just watered the container yesterday, and when I emptied it out the whole thing was bone dry. I am guessing that since the water was perching on top and not soaking in that the water coming out the bottom was actually just running down the sides and not going into the mix.

Was not expecting to see much of a root system but this is what came out. Had no idea they could do this much in such a short period of time.
A. Myriostigma Nudum 8-15-12 1.jpg
A. Myriostigma Nudum 8-15-12 1.jpg (34.9 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
Re-potted in about 2.5 turface to 1 sand. Should have a much better water retention now and no more top dressing. Did the same with the Multicostatus. That root systems was just as healthy. Both water straight through like they are suppose to. Just need to see how long it takes for the new mix to dry. Am thinking it won't be much more then 48 hours. Will weigh it and find out.
A. Myriostigma Nudum 8-15-12 2.jpg
A. Myriostigma Nudum 8-15-12 2.jpg (63.46 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
S. Multicostatus 8-15-12.jpg
S. Multicostatus 8-15-12.jpg (64.1 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
Its only been about 5 hours since the re-pot and both of them are already raised above the line they started at and the deflated area is filling in.
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

They look fine to me.

What I do is use 3.25" pots and 6" bags, which fit perfectly. Then I sow about 50the seed per pot, 2@25x or 3@10x seeds in rows, trying to match species with similar growth rates yet are easily differentiated when bigger. Small pots in bags dry out too easy, bigger pots provide a more stable environment.

I've found Astros to be relatively fussy cacti, don't be frustrated by them too much. There's a reason they are often grafted.
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

They both have responded wonderfully to the re-pot. The Astro is nice and filled out again and signs of growth on both plants.

And not stressing at all Spark, actually have a ton of fun working my way thru this :)

Kada (loph) recommends a mix that dries in 1-3 days and these have gone bone dry in just under 3 days, so I think I may be in a good spot with that. Going to start lengthening the dry time in between watering now for these couple. I still have probably 3 months of solid summer and the winter here is generally pretty tame. I may try to move these 2 outside in a few weeks.
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
Sharpy

Re: Seedlings w/100% gritty mix (Update:End Results))

Post by Sharpy »

iann wrote:Today's little gem for free: once you grow from seed you'll always have too many plants ;)
Never to many, not anymore, lol.

:::::::The rest of this are my finding and do not represent the "best way" to do it, or the "correct" way to do it:::::::::

So here are how the kids turned out. These are the same 7 cacti from the previous pics. What were suppose to be Hakuun Myrios turned out to be a mixed bag. One is Columnare, another seems to have Capricorne in it. And a few Nudum Vars. The E.Multicostatus really reacted great to the outside ligth.

One thing learned, DO NOT use any top dressing the is of a particle size less then 2-3mm. So take your <1/16" turface etc. and put it in a flower bed, imo. It is going to do nothing but turn into a layer of concrete and try to choke out your kids.

On the fertilizer side if things I can not speak for what you are using. For me I had to cut way down on the concentration in order to avoid literally plugging my turface with deposits. And that was at a 1/8 cut. So I wil be going for around a 1/16 mix or less and mixing in straight water.

Will post another thread on my year end result pics. Got 229 cacti out of 480 seed. Just finished re-potting today and moved outside. Bad light though, will take pics in the morning.

I hope this was of some use to someone.
Freshly moved outside, just getting a little bit of morning sun at the moment.  Quarter for size..2-1/4&quot; pots
Freshly moved outside, just getting a little bit of morning sun at the moment. Quarter for size..2-1/4" pots
Seedlings Move Outside 030913.jpg (126.36 KiB) Viewed 3463 times
Today, Everyone is looking great,imo.  The Multico. has completely changed.  They are getting about 4 hours of sun a day atm.
Today, Everyone is looking great,imo. The Multico. has completely changed. They are getting about 4 hours of sun a day atm.
Grit-Result.jpg (97.71 KiB) Viewed 3463 times
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

Nice looking seedlings. Great success story after all.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

They look awesome! :D A great experience of growing from seed, I'd say. I reckon those seedlings would like more light if they can get any, though. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

I've found the 'nudum' myrios seem to like a bit less light than their flecked bretheren, I think the flecking provides some sun protection and without it they are more susceptible to burning.
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Thanks all!
CactusFanDan wrote:They look awesome! :D A great experience of growing from seed, I'd say. I reckon those seedlings would like more light if they can get any, though. :)
Working them into the sun a little at a time, and no signs of burning yet. Not trying to rush it :wink:
promethean_spark wrote:I've found the 'nudum' myrios seem to like a bit less light than their flecked bretheren, I think the flecking provides some sun protection and without it they are more susceptible to burning.
Yeah I figured that would be the case and will place them accordingly, thanks.

Was going to do a separate thread on the total results, but I will just put it here to kind of "complete" the thread.

Here is everything accept the Ortego's, which are still under lights. They need a few months yet before I will be happy moving them out.
2012 Results 1.jpg
2012 Results 1.jpg (69.06 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
All Capricorne v. Nivem
All Capricorne v. Nivem
2012 Flat 1.jpg (124.91 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
Few more Cap. Nivem in front, next are MYR-OR SB126xSB127 F2, and Echinofossulocactus Erectocentrus SB268 in the back
Few more Cap. Nivem in front, next are MYR-OR SB126xSB127 F2, and Echinofossulocactus Erectocentrus SB268 in the back
2012 Flat 2.jpg (125.32 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
First 3 rows CAPxAS F2, My 7 little Micromeris that made it, and ACMs in the back :D
First 3 rows CAPxAS F2, My 7 little Micromeris that made it, and ACMs in the back :D
2012 Flat 3.jpg (118.57 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
6 Copiapoa cinerea PV2412 and the rest are R.Heloisa KK1802
6 Copiapoa cinerea PV2412 and the rest are R.Heloisa KK1802
2012 Flat 4.jpg (114.41 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
My 2 odd balls
Capricorne v Nivem 2 head 041413.jpg
Capricorne v Nivem 2 head 041413.jpg (70.96 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
Hope the variegation continues on this one
Hope the variegation continues on this one
Capricorne v Nivem Variegated 041413.jpg (69.1 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
And that about sums it up. Thanks for all the help that was supplied by everyone here =D>

I have learned a lot but still have miles to go. But the confidence factor is way up, so that should count for something, lol.

Happy growing everyone!
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!