Hello from Texas!

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
sundanz

Hello from Texas!

Post by sundanz »

My name is Karin and I live in beautiful East Texas, where as of last month I started collecting Cacti and succulents. I now have 25 gorgeous plants, all different and some are really weird looking. They are all outside on a sunny table but when rain is forecast they go on a metal rack next to the wall under a roof overhang to stay dry. So far 2 have bloomed and all of them seem to be happy so far. My husband laughs because I talk to my plants! :lol: As soon as I figure out how to add photos I will post them. The latest weird looking plant is called a 'living rock' and I read they are difficult to raise. Well, mine is getting new leaves in the split section, is that normal? Anyway, I am happy to have found this forum, quite by accident I might add! Will post pics soon. I have pics on my IPhone but not on my computer.
Karin
hoteidoc

Re: Hello from Texas!

Post by hoteidoc »

Welcome Karin! Sounds like Lithops. Numerous active Texans to guide you thru questions & caveats! ](*,) -- and every environment & climate @ the planet. Great depth of experiences & experiences, & lots of sharing & caring! :D. Start planning for the new greenhouse and/or C & S wing to home :roll: If you're at 25 in 2 months, sounds like close to 100 by Christmas. Talking to plants -- Doesn't every one? They saved my "sanity"(what little there is) the past 2 winters!
Peter
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Wow,Peter, 100 by Christmas? I think it's doable! LOL
As for the Greenhouse....yes. we already talked about it. When I'm away from home I worry about my cacti getting wet or scorched ( we're in Texas after all where the weather can change in a second). Geez, can you tell I'm a cactiholic already after only a month? Yes, 100 at Christmas is very possible indeed!:-)
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
John C

Post by John C »

Hello Karin! Welcome to the forums! Seems like we have been getting some more members from the great state of Texas recently! That's GREAT!

You found a good hobby, and a great forum! I wouldn't doubt the 100 plants estimate. :wink: The addiction spread quick!

Can't wait to see the pics!

-John from Fort Worth, Texas
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Tried to upload pics from my phone but it won't let me!:-(
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Pleiospilos  nelii, split rock
Pleiospilos nelii, split rock
Pictures iphone 023.jpg (44.6 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
This is just one of my plants, split rock, Pleiospilos nelii. Will post more soon from my other computer. ](*,)
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

welcome karin! nice p. nelii!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hello Karin, I sent you a PM.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Glad Tony revived this post because I had missed it somehow. A very belated welcome from me Karin!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti