What plants do you dread repotting?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
bananaman

What plants do you dread repotting?

Post by bananaman »

Because of their sharp spines, danger of killing the plant etc...

For me it is Mammillaria mystax because while I was repotting it yesterday, one of the spines went through a rubber gardening glove 1/8" thick right into my finger!!

I've noticed that this plant's spines don't break very easily and instead just hurt you...

Out of my non-succulents, it would be Cephalotus follicaratus because root disturbance often kills that plant...
Hope this helps!
-bananaman

Check out My Growlist!!!
SnowFella

Re: What plants do you dread repotting?

Post by SnowFella »

Anything hooked spined! To many times i've had one perfectly pottet just to yank it out of the pot at the last second by an errent hook!
M. senilis i had to call out for help to remove from my hand as what seemed like a million little hooks grabbed a hold and refused to let go!
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Hooks are bad, but really dreading repotting the 14" grusonii @ end of summer! 8-[
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Opuntia and the Opuntioid group. I despise glochids! I may grow one or two when I set up my in ground landscape, but I'll never be a collector of that group simply because I don't want those things stuck in my skin for days after I handle them.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

I dread repotting small seedlings. I always have a hard time getting them well spaced and upright, especially with my very loose potting mix. I tend to get frustrated and start tossing them into the bushes.
amanzed

Post by amanzed »

Dyckia and large Hechtia. I have some nice ones clumping up well crying out to be divided, but they can cry a while longer.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

any and all cylindropuntias
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
amanzed

Post by amanzed »

I'm eyeing Grusonia invicta for the last few days. Fierce and razor sharp. I know it would do better in a bigger pot. I got a couple long bamboo tongs I'm hoping might help.
iann

Post by iann »

Anything that hooks and won't let go.

Ferocactus latispinus has hooks but no problem. You can even pick it up by grabbing a few hooks.

Mammillaria senils, nightmare! I was looking at one today thinking it could do with a bigger pot, but decided to leave it to next year. I'm chicken!
--ian
Tony

Post by Tony »

I enjoy re potting anything.
There is a trick or tool for just about anything and I get a kick (and a poke) out of figuring out what will work the best in these sticky situations.
That said, most oputias get potted up once in an over size pot and then are banished to live the remainder of their life the top of the back block wall.
What I hate is when I forget and place a newly potted hook spined plant to close to the front of a bench and the yank it out of its pot with my shirt when I reach over it to get something on the back of the bench.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Anything with glochids, really. I can handle large spines no problem, but those annoying little glochids push me to the edge. :evil: Hooks are also annoying, particularly on plants which just don't want to let go. Also, plants with attractive but delicate spination, I always fear damaging the spines and making the plant look less pristine. Mamm. spinosissima 'un pico' springs to mind. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
bananaman

Post by bananaman »

Glochids are pretty annoying...
Hope this helps!
-bananaman

Check out My Growlist!!!
amanzed

Post by amanzed »

Critters knocked my Mammillaria 'Un Pico' off the bench a couple times. If I was worried about spoiling its pristine character, that solved that. :oops:

I have since repotted it in a much more stable pot.
Mamm. spinosissima 'un pico' springs to mind.
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

http://www.amazon.com/Kimberly-Clark-NI ... ile+gloves" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

these will end your glochid troubles. They just can't penetrate them. Plus perfect for when handling pesticides and other garden chems.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

I have to agree on that one, I've double gloved using the wife's surgical gloves whenever I've repotted opuntiads and never had a problem with glochnids. Just have to remember not to scratch, poke or prod anything while still wearing the gloves and you will be fine!