Succulent Type

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Cynthia

Succulent Type

Post by Cynthia »

Isn't this a succelunt and if so, what type? It blooms one flower at a time, all year long.

Last edited by Cynthia on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cynthia
charlpic

Re: Succelunt Type

Post by charlpic »

It's a cactus. Astrophytum myriostigma.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Thanks charlpic! I thought it was a succelunt because it is all fleshy. I looked at google images and saw many different varieties of this cactus but none like mine. It has dark green and light green ridges with little white bumps in between. I've had it for at least four years and the first couple of years I thought those bumps were little mites and I sprayed them and used a toothbrush to get them off. When they kept coming back, I realized that they were part of the plant.
Cynthia
charlpic

Post by charlpic »

The green stripes could be the result of a cross between myriostigma and myriostigma v. nudum. I'm no expert in the astrophytum world though.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I'm certainly no expert charlpic, but appreciate your input. There are already so many versions of this cactus, I can't imagine why someone wanted to create a new one.
Cynthia
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

By the way it IS a succulent. For some reason people like to separate cactus out as some special group. It is like if you had a group of people and sorted them by if they are Americans or are they from Iowa.

By the way, does that pot have a drainage hole?
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Yes it does, Saxicola, all my potted plants do. However, I noticed the more fleshy ones like the glossy or partially glossy pots that hold water longer and the others prefer clay pots that lose their moisture quickly. I also move them to different areas on my deck from sunny to shady to see where they like it best. I probably got my first cactus six years ago to put on my deck and since it thrived, I have added more and more. Now there are too many to bring inside if we get a hard freeze and I try not to buy the ones I've already lost due to deep frost vulnerability, which is below 30 degrees.
Cynthia
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Cynthia wrote:Yes it does, Saxicola, all my potted plants do. However, I noticed the more fleshy ones like the glossy or partially glossy pots that hold water longer and the others prefer clay pots that lose their moisture quickly. I also move them to different areas on my deck from sunny to shady to see where they like it best. I probably got my first cactus six years ago to put on my deck and since it thrived, I have added more and more. Now there are too many to bring inside if we get a hard freeze and I try not to buy the ones I've already lost due to deep frost vulnerability, which is below 30 degrees.

Ok, just thought I'd check. A lot of those ceramic pots don't have a hole in them. I think that has been responsible for the average person killing off more plants (of all types) than just about anything!
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Cynthia

Re: Succulent Type

Post by Cynthia »

It's beginning to produce another flower, one at a time and leaves those little craters along the sides.

Cynthia