Some new additions

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
SnowFella

Some new additions

Post by SnowFella »

Even though it's winter down here I can't stay away from adding to the collection, as my Melo's now reside indoors I have some spare room on the benches...not sure what I'll do come spring though :lol:
Unfortunately only 4 had labels so I've now got even more unknowns needing identification.

1: No label but I'm hazarding a guess it used to belong in the Weingartia genus.

2: Same here, thinking Copiapoa or Eriosyce though.

3: Yet another one without label 8-[ Likely columnar in growth I'd guess.

4: Finally a labeled plant, R. muscula

5: Garden variety E. haku-jo but I've been looking for one with this characteristics for a while. Several reverted ribs that could flower.

And lastly 2 M. senilis "brothers" to replace one I killed over last winter. The glitter pots is luckily as far as this nursery will go when it comes to tarting up their plants, not a strawflower as long as the eye can see!
gemhunter178

Re: Some new additions

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice looking plants! That revert of E. haku-jo looks very interesting! =D>
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Copiapoa for #2. C. coquimbana or C. desertorum would be my best guess.

Nice spines on #1.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

CoronaCactus wrote:Copiapoa for #2. C. coquimbana or C. desertorum would be my best guess. .
C. coquimbana looks good to me as well.

Nice selection of plants! :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

nice new additions!

can't tell you what #1 is but I CAN tell you that it's not a cumingii type weingartia, perhaps a sulco
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

It just "feels" like it's way to heavily spined to be a Sulco, for size reference here it's in a 7cm pot and the centrals are near a cm long. Just going to have to wait till spring and see how it flowers I guess.
That's if these new ones survives till spring that is, downside with buying from a year round grower down here is that they keep em growing all through winter with insulated greenhouses and keep on watering. So all the new plants are in moist soil while the rest of my collection hasn't seen water for near a month now.

Also scored another Schlumbergera last week but haven't managed to get good photos of it yet. Very different characteristics on this one compared to my other ones, got shorter and fatter segments without the pointy edges and the flowers open symmetricly.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Went to my local bigbox store for some pavers and just couldn't walk past this little guy, already have another one but this one hints at becoming a real chubby fellow.
Echinopsis/Tichocereus scopulicola, about 15cm's tall

Just got to figure out how to break him loose from the glued together topdressing now ](*,)
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Nice!