Lighting

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Chasethorn

Lighting

Post by Chasethorn »

I hope this idea works, here is what I got.

I have 0 experience on growing seeds. I have read many basic seed growing articles so I have a small idea of how so.

I have a reptile lamp that is an extra from my tortoise. I am curious if there is any light bulb I can use to grow seeds, rather than a florescent light fixture. Any other advise is greatly appreciated! :D

This was my first idea, to just put them into an old salad box and throw some foil in it to help with escaping light. Also, to have just the lid and no plastic bags.

Here is another idea, just to have them individually bagged and in a plastic tote so they don't get knocked over.
Chasethorn

Re: Lighting

Post by Chasethorn »

Could these be used?? http://www.lowes.com/pd_346992-75774-LB ... facetInfo=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iann

Post by iann »

Chasethorn wrote:Could these be used?? http://www.lowes.com/pd_346992-75774-LB ... facetInfo=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes. Those are fluorescent, albeit coiled up into a small space.
--ian
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Looks fine to me, CFL's are quite good, one of those little ones are going to give off a lot of light, but they don't cover as wide an area as long tubes do. For your setup, though, they'd be great. :)

TOP TIP: Make sure everything is sterile! I've seen it a lot. People don't sterilise enough and they end up with their seeds rotting away or the seedlings damping off. Myself included! :)
Microwave/autoclave the soil prior to sowing. Wash the seeds with a 10% bleach solution, then be sure to rinse afterwards. This is especially important using the baggie method. Also, use sterile rainwater where possible.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Chasethorn

Post by Chasethorn »

Thanks a lot Dan!