Is this even a succulent (Kalanchoe)?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
jeangalal

Is this even a succulent (Kalanchoe)?

Post by jeangalal »

Hi everybody, I found this plant in my garden (Cairo, Egypt) and I do not know what it is. It has a creeping habit, its leave have a verbena scent. I first thought of a Kalanchoe.

Thank you for your help to identify it!
Attachments
unidentified.jpg
unidentified.jpg (65.77 KiB) Viewed 870 times
One Windowsill

Re: Is this even a succulent (Kalanchoe)?

Post by One Windowsill »

Looks like one of the mint family to me. Labiatae or Lamiaceae depending on the taxonomist. My first reaction was that it looks like a Plectranthus, of which there are many species. There are plenty of other genera that it could be, most of the mint family smells of one thing or another.
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

Come to think of it, if it was in your garden it is quite likely to be Plectranthus amboinicus. It is commonly cultivated in warm countries and has many common names. It is also used as a herb but make sure of the identity before you eat it.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums ... d=551095#b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LazyD

Post by LazyD »

I agree with Dave. It looks as what we call it Broad Leaf Thyme and is used to flavour meals over here.
By Choice, Not Chance.
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

LazyD, do you mean you agree with Pat? :-k

That garden is not mine, it is Dave's Garden, where lots of people post pictures of their plants to help identification and show off their prized plants. Search for IDs for long enough and you will always end up in Dave's Garden.

I have grown four succulent species of Plectranthus but not this one so I don't have pictures.
jeangalal

Post by jeangalal »

Thank you for your help! I'll wait until it blossoms to be sure before I cook it :-)