grafted Aztekium forming pups

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
evelyn

grafted Aztekium forming pups

Post by evelyn »

Hello cacti peeps,

My grafted aztekium is forming a few of pups at the top (see pic). Visually, I am less than thrilled with this behavior. There's nothing I can do about it now, but is there anything I can do in the future to prevent this from occurring?
Attachments
IMG_2216.jpg
IMG_2216.jpg (34.64 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
CactusFanDan

Re: grafted Aztekium forming pups

Post by CactusFanDan »

Grafted Aztekiums offset far more readily than plant on their own roots, as you can probably tell. Maybe try regrafting the plant onto a rootstock which causes the scion to grow closer to their natural form. Hylocereus is meant to be good for this. If that doesn't work, then you could graft onto a slower growing rootstock, such as Cereus jamacaru.

Not sure if either of those would help, but I hope it gives you some ideas. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Very nice job, Evelyn! =D> Might have to rethink my opposition to grafting since I germinated some hintonii back in Jan. -- tiny round balls that have grown a "tiny" bit since then, right up there with columnars & living long enought to see a real plant or flowers on columnars! :roll:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
cactus2001

Post by cactus2001 »

neat cactus! keep up the good growing
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

I have two aztekium grafts that are pupping like crazy. My theory is that since it's naturally a slow grower, once it's reaches a certain size it will start pupping as the grafting stock keeps trying to push it to grow. Maybe less watering and fert, plus a slower growng stock will reduce the chances of pupping?
evelyn

Post by evelyn »

Yeah, yall must be right. Even though he's a happy cacti, I'm bummed about the pups. What happens as they grow? Is it possible to chop them off without too much scaring on the mother plant?
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

If you pamper it less it may grow slower and pup less. Aztekium have a relatively dry stem and have a lowish grafting success rate, I would try to graft the pups but not regraft the mother plant.