Seed availablility and time of the year.

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Sharpy

Seed availablility and time of the year.

Post by Sharpy »

Does the time of year affect the seeds that can be found for sale?

For example I have been trying to track down Stenocactus Sulphureus with no luck. (also checked echinofossulocactus) Or does the commonality/rarity affect the availability? ie. if its really common or been available for a long itme, will be hard to find seeds. (little demand) But the stuff that's not ubber rare will be more readily available, since the general public will be looking for them.

I know a lot of seeds have a pretty good shelf life so this is why I am curious.
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
peterb

Re: Seed availablility and time of the year.

Post by peterb »

Cactus seeds are not seasonal from the major suppliers, except as regards when they tend to issue their new lists. Mesa Garden has limited packets of some items and they can sell out after they are listed in January.

I notice they don't have Echinofossulocactus sulphureus. It is a beautiful looking plant. I'm not finding it available as either plant or seed from any supplier right now, but I don't think that is a reflection of seasonal availability.

peterb
Zone 9
Sharpy

Re: Seed availablility and time of the year.

Post by Sharpy »

ok fair enough. I will just keep looking, from time to time, for the ones that are not available at the moment.
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!