Noob question

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
GermanStar

Noob question

Post by GermanStar »

I have three fresh Peruvian cuttings. Once they've calloused, can I safely plant them where I want them, or should I pot 'em up and park 'em under a tree until autumn? I'd greatly prefer to put them directly in the ground, but we're getting up to 100°F+ every day, and this is a full sun location. The plant I took them from is in full sun, if it matters. I'm just worried they'll turn into raisins before they have a chance to root.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".
Harriet

Re: Noob question

Post by Harriet »

So here's the "Noob" answer/compromise that I would try... Let them callus over till they are good and done, sometimes you can even see roots starting while the cutting is drying. Use some rooting hormone and put the cuttings on some dirt in a tray or pot or whatever then put them somewhere where they don't get full sun ALL day so you can see how they handle the light. If they don't burn up immediately it may be safe to move them directly to their final destination. (Seems to me that full sun won't be a major problem because the cuttings will be as acclimated as the main plant.) Last columnar cutting I had developed an amazing root system in less than a week when I used the rooting hormone. I would not have had a problem putting that plant in the ground at that time... it was ready to go!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
GermanStar

Thanks!

Post by GermanStar »

The cuttings are a nice size (15"-20") and are definitely acclimated to sun. It is dehydration that has me concerned; rooting hormone to speed it along sounds like a solid idea. I just ordered some, by the time it arrives, the cuttings should be nicely calloused over.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

Rooting hormone is not required for these guys, I wouldn't bother. I'd keep them out of full sun until they're well rooted though. Many woody plants need rooting hormone to encourage them to root, or root before the energy reserves in the cutting run out, but cactus cuttings can survive for a long, long time and for all but the slowest growing species they are eager to put out roots if given the chance.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

We'll see how it goes. They're nicely calloused and in the ground. I really only need one to make it, but two would make for a nicer, fuller planting. I did rootings like this at my last house in Phoenix a while back, it took four years for the cactus to grow taller than my house.
Attachments
Peruvian 003.JPG
Peruvian 003.JPG (109.85 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
Agave
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Looking good! My newest cactus is a C. peruvianus. It was covered in buds, who could resist? (Especially for $12.00!)
DSC_9564.JPG
DSC_9564.JPG (59.22 KiB) Viewed 3090 times
DSC_9572.JPG
DSC_9572.JPG (39.43 KiB) Viewed 3090 times
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Tony

Post by Tony »

Stand back! You have never seen anything grow so fast in your life. :shock:
Those cuttings will make roots this year but next year, they should at least double. Just my experience, your mileage may vary.
I would keep them covered with shade cloth for the summer, or at least until they start growing unless you have kept track of which sides had been growing facing the sun.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Harriet wrote:Looking good! My newest cactus is a C. peruvianus. It was covered in buds, who could resist? (Especially for $12.00!)
A choice you may regret even before I regret mine. Taller than my house in four years, and nearly as wide as it was tall. :shock:
Agave
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Tony wrote:Stand back! You have never seen anything grow so fast in your life. :shock:
Those cuttings will make roots this year but next year, they should at least double. Just my experience, your mileage may vary.
I would keep them covered with shade cloth for the summer, or at least until they start growing unless you have kept track of which sides had been growing facing the sun.
As always, good advice, I'll keep a close eye on them for now and cover as needed.
Agave
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

Those three look too close together, each one's stem will be as wide as the whole planting in a few years...
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

They seem to be coming along. I'd say at least one has safely rooted.
Attachments
Cereus 004.JPG
Cereus 004.JPG (74.01 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
Agave
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

=D>
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice! =D>
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

I've been providing copious amounts of water twice weekly, and they get noticeably firmer after watering. As you can see, no burn at all. Once it cools off a bit, I'll start tapering off. I'm expecting multiple 3'+ branches by this time next year. :D
Agave
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Mine grow fast until they get hit by frost. They aren't cold hardy at all, at least in my experience.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.