New Kind of Spam

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
hob

Re: New Kind of Spam

Post by hob »

deleted
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

And still another one:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=25480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
RayC

Post by RayC »

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 15&t=24893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Trina
RayC

Post by RayC »

user Kenyona
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey gang- be on the lookout for related posts being made on old threads. Just deleted a spammer of a picture of a saguaro with an ID question. It was a reply to an old thread in the "Big Picture Project" section. Looked very believable, but there was the signature link to some cell phone deal.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

daiv (or should I say Columbo?), it was suspicious for a first-time poster to include a link like that. I'll give the person credit for giving the spam placement some forethought.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ha ha. Yes, well I can see the e-mail addresses too which gives me an advantage. I've learned that spammers almost always have a hotmail or gmail account where the e-mail name is the same as their username and they usually are a combination of letters and numbers that don't spell anything.
cactihunter

Post by cactihunter »

Probably doesn't count as spam but I didn't think it was appropriate for the site. http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... eometricus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; First post has a nasty link in the signature. I know the thread is really old but still....
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey, definitely glad you caught that. I think that Mavaz must have been hacked. I noticed that the post was edited much later than it was posted. It wasn't actually part of the signature, just made to look like it was. If anyone spots stuff like that, please be sure and mention it. I changed the login details for mavaz so hopefully that account will be fixed.
Last edited by mavaz on 12 Aug 2011 09:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

OK, I checked all the posts for that user and almost everyone had a spam link. Deleted them. Man, that makes me mad!
RayC

Post by RayC »

http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 9&start=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
bananaman

Post by bananaman »

At least the spam here isn't as bad as the spam on some of the other forums I've been on.
One of them gets at least 1 spam post that is just an advertisement in every forum, every day.

Why do people do these things?
Hope this helps!
-bananaman

Check out My Growlist!!!
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

To make $$$$ - no matter what annoyance :evil:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That is true, but what I can't understand is why anyone would give them their money. Of course they actually don't expect real people to click on the spam and buy, but the links all help their search engine positioning and so search engines reward them for spamming even if they don't mean to.