Peterb's new, revised 2012

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
peterb

Re: Peterb's new, revised 2012

Post by peterb »

The other Peniocereus in image 2 is maculatus, Harald, and that does put out flowers pretty much every year in high summer here, so I am hoping. Very fragrant.

PTCG, I prefer Neoevansia as I don't think the plant belongs in Peniocereus in a narrow sense. The currently accepted name is Peniocereus viperinus, however.

Greg, the flowers open a few hours before dawn and then are wide open in the early morning, closed by the afternoon. A cool flowering cycle that must have something to do with the pollinator.

peterb

PS, yes, it is one of the oldest from seed. Maybe the oldest.
Zone 9
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

That are indeed really beautiful flowers! 17 years is a long way to wait for this awesome appearance. =D>
Peter, you have to be very patient. Congrats!
It seems that the blossoms only appear on branches with a dried tip. Is it so? :?:
So there is the question, do it flower better, if the branches will be cut at the end. :-k

I do practice this with Selenicereus grandiflorus. Every spring before it begins to grow I cut all tips. The result is a sap congestion into the branches and therefore it produces more and more willingly its buds and flowers. If this works with Selenicereus, why not with Peniocereus?
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

That's a Lo-o-o-ng relationship with a plant, Peter! And as pretty as the blossom is, I can't believe you held on that long just for the blossom! Certainly, in the eye of the beholder, because to me any of the skinny, gangly Seleni-types (so far) are ugly :wink: Esp. if most of them you have to be up in the middle of the night to see it! But that's just me. TFS!
Peter
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
peterb

Post by peterb »

I like the general habit of all the Peniocereus plants and their allies/relatives. On this particular plant, I especially like the strange spidery appressed spines on the blue gray lanky stems and the huge tap roots. I do agree there are some pretty dull Selenicereus, except for the flowers of course. Ralf, I do sometimes clip the dead stems, decided to leave some of them this year as it seems there is some new growth on one of them and maybe I can root a cutting. If I can keep this plant a little warmer and give it some water over the winter, the stems don't dry out, but it is less likely to flower. Ideal conditions for this one over the winter are cool nights (in the low 40s, no frost, although when dry the plant can take light frost for brief periods) and days in the 60s, with a little water every month.

peterb
Zone 9
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Beautiful viperinus!! Really jealous - I've got two plants, but neither have bloomed for me yet. Crossing my fingers!
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Great Neopenio! ;)
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Thanks for telling me what your seeing, Peter! :D Hasn't made it to the "hit" list (yet), but then I never thought Opuntia's would either :roll: ! Really doubt I have 17 yrs left in me either, but as usual, it's almost never about flowers. Why else would I be growing Neoraimondia or Saguaro :wink: ?
Peter
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Thanks Peter, for share your experiences. Now I'll try to do my best.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
peterb

Post by peterb »

A few new ones, flowering very much slowing down as the days edge toward 100 and nights stay up in the mid 60s.

peterb
Attachments
another viperina
another viperina
DSC04753.JPG (133.42 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Ferocactus seedling. Maybe gracilis? The seed was from Baja.
Ferocactus seedling. Maybe gracilis? The seed was from Baja.
DSC04754.JPG (205.53 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Epithelantha species, tiny flowers, pretty though.
Epithelantha species, tiny flowers, pretty though.
DSC04756.JPG (162.85 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
astro capricorne senile
astro capricorne senile
001.JPG (168.75 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Thelo bicolor bolaensis
Thelo bicolor bolaensis
003.JPG (123.16 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Thelocactus bicolor flavidispinus
Thelocactus bicolor flavidispinus
004.JPG (144.71 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Thelo bicolor
Thelo bicolor
005.JPG (142.17 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Thelo sp.
Thelo sp.
006.JPG (139.11 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
a group of two year olds. Lots of new growth on Grusonia pulchella.
a group of two year olds. Lots of new growth on Grusonia pulchella.
007.JPG (217.7 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
These painted glasses of Arizona Cacti were for sale at an antique store in Scottsdale for $300.
These painted glasses of Arizona Cacti were for sale at an antique store in Scottsdale for $300.
003.JPG (104.3 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Mammillaria sphaerica
Mammillaria sphaerica
011.JPG (152.06 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Zone 9
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

That's a lot of Thelos you have there! Cool flowers and plants too!....and a very expensive set of "glasses"!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

nice new growth and flowers. I admit I like the glasses but 300 dollars? of course they are neat and rare probably so.. I get it..
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
peterb

Post by peterb »

The whole sets with pitcher and tray go for about 300. Turns out you can find pieces on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bla ... us+glasses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

peterb
Zone 9
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Beautiful flowers, cool glasses - no mater what the cost!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Nice. I got a few questions. First, and maybe the dumb question, (Thelocactus) bicolor is named for the flowers, right? Or is it the spines? Second, are those arms forming on the N. viperina or more flower buds? Last, which is the Grusonia pulchella?
peterb

Post by peterb »

Not a dumb question. I have no idea if bicolor is regarding the flower, but I assume so, since the no longer accepted variety "tricolor" definitely referred to the flowers. The viperina is forming new stems. As far as I know it flowers once and that's that. The Grusonia is mixed in with all the others...I'll take a group shot of the 8 or 9 pots later and post. Also, just to clarify, I didn't purchase the glasses. If I were going to spend $300, it wouldn't be on that, but on some kind of gargantuan Mesa Garden order. :-)

peterb
Zone 9