Greetings

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
martijn1202

Greetings

Post by martijn1202 »

Well, i'm martijn (mart-aye-n yeah i know, dutch names fail), i'm from the netherlands, and a sterting cacti collector. collecting cacti is my hobby, not my obsession, so i wont be online every day xD.
hoteidoc

Re: Greetings

Post by hoteidoc »

YET! :wink:
Welcome Martijn - several active Martin's. Fabulous group from all over the Planet Earth, with every known growing condition. You'll always find lots of experience to be shared! :D
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Well hello!
Even with an really big collection (actually not me compared to most people here) you can still get a lot of experience!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
JeffWhiteDevil

Post by JeffWhiteDevil »

martijn1202 wrote:Well, i'm martijn (mart-aye-n yeah i know, dutch names fail), i'm from the netherlands, and a sterting cacti collector. collecting cacti is my hobby, not my obsession, so i wont be online every day xD.

Greetings, and welcome to the fun Martijn! :D
martijn1202

Post by martijn1202 »

Thanks for al your welcoming words :D
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

welkom! I predict a big chance that your collection will soon grow to the point that you will visit this forum daily! ;)
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
cactuslee

Post by cactuslee »

welcome and your hobby may grow to be an obsession.
martijn1202

Post by martijn1202 »

StrUktO wrote:welkom! I predict a big chance that your collection will soon grow to the point that you will visit this forum daily! ;)
I hope so ;)
cactuslee wrote:welcome and your hobby may grow to be an obsession.
xD, i don't think it's going to be my obsession because i don't have very much space in my house for cacti were they get enough light :(.

Does anyone know with what cacti specie(s) i can start best, or which i should absolutely not buy?
majcka

Post by majcka »

martijn1202 wrote:Does anyone know with what cacti specie(s) i can start best, or which i should absolutely not buy?
Ariocarpus absolutely do not buy until you have no GH.

I was told Opuntia and Gymnocalycium are the easiest for the beginners. And hard (not that easy) to kill. Maybe some Echynopsis too.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Arjen

Post by Arjen »

you wil probably do fine with some mammillaria's too, and they can often even be bought at your local flower shop!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Robinj

Post by Robinj »

Welcome Martijn. Belief me, i started two years back with 2 cactussen and not knowing this forum. Since i know this forum, my collection from 2 to 5 and from 5 to at least 40, not counting the seedlings i have grown this year.
Searching for these seeds:
Gymnocalycium andreae
Matucana madisoniorum
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Martijn,
welcome to the cactus and succulent forum. I believe, that the genera Gymnocalycium, Echinopsis, Echinocereus, Opuntia and also the "jungle cacti" Epiphyllum and Schlumbergera are most likely the easiest ones to grow for beginners. Of course, there are probably members in each of these genera that may be a little harder to cultivate.
Lots of success and luck with your hobby. Be warned though, it easily can get out of hand and become an obsession. :)

Harald
cotton

Post by cotton »

I am also new here. I am so happy to find this forum. I have cacti and this forum give me more useful knowledge. I believe =D> you will learn more.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Welcome! I'm not sure if you are saying you have limited space in the house because you only have indoor space. If you have outdoor space for some pots there are a number of cacti and succulents that can survive your winters.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants