Pereskiopsis cuts and some random Mamm's

Post requests and offers of plants you would like to trade. -Read Rules First!
CactusFanDan

Pereskiopsis cuts and some random Mamm's

Post by CactusFanDan »

Well i've got some chunky and quite long Pereskia/Pereskiopsis cuttings (unrooted) that I want to either swap or sell. It's either that or they're being composted. :P
I probably can't ship out of the EU, though.

Also, i've got 2 5cm pots of Mamm. decipiens and some small plants of what I think is Mamm. magnimamma or perhaps Mamm. polythele, which are also for sale or for swapsies! :D

PM me if you're interested. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
jnspire

Re: Pereskiopsis cuts and some random Mamm's

Post by jnspire »

I would take you up on your Pereskia/Pereskiopsis cuttings if you could ship to the states.

I doubt that you will have trouble moving them though. Plenty of people are often looking for good grafting stock! :)
Jer.

-----
Moved to Hollywood, FL (hardiness zone 10b) in September 2022. Previously resided in Minnesota (zone 4b).
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Well I guess it's worth a shot, I doubt customs would be too strict about things. :P Certainly, i've not had any issues getting things into the UK. :)

I tried selling the cuttings on ebay, but I didn't get any takers. I was thinking they'd go like hot cakes, but apparently not. They're probably not suitable for grafting straight on to, though. Some of them are pretty thick and woody, and probably best for making your own mother plant from. :D
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
martenfisher

Post by martenfisher »

I got an Opuntia robusta monstrosa from England. The box was sliced open with a knife then resealed with a customs inspection sticker and I still got the plant. I was told customs would confiscate it but not in my case.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

martenfisher wrote:I got an Opuntia robusta monstrosa from England. The box was sliced open with a knife then resealed with a customs inspection sticker and I still got the plant. I was told customs would confiscate it but not in my case.
There's nothing illegal about shipping plants between different countries. I did it all the time when I was doing my research on gingers and was bringing back (legally) field collected plants. You just have to make sure you jump through the hoops correctly. Opuntias seem like they'd be really easy to deal with because you can send pads without roots. Customs freaks out about two things (so long as what you are doing is legal to begin with), 1. visible pests and diseases and 2. soil.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

there are a few things they look for when plants are shipped from one country to another. 1. is it contraband.. (IE is it illegal) It might be possible to ship say a Lophophora form one country to another legally. But say in America it's illegal. If you ship one and it's examined it will be seized. 2. If it is a noxious weed. Shipping Opuntia to Australia as an example WOULD be a bad idea. 3. is it in soil? Soil sent from one country to another for some reason (mostly pests/diseases) is frowned upon. 4. Lastly. Does the state in the country (IE the US) allow that plant to be imported. In some places they protect plants either native ones or agricultural ones from disease, pests or competition... As to what would happen if person A. sent person B. plant C, who knows. Might not be a problem, or it might get seized. I have no idea what would happen between the countries. (oh and sometimes they require certificates.. I am not an expert on this, but I seem to remember some issues in the past...)

My advice is to declare what you are sending and basically talk to the post office. Here in AZ they DO not care that I ship, nor receive cactus at all. I even told the guy working there that it had cactus inside and he said it was fine. :) good luck if you trade. To me it's sad when cacti gets thrown away so.. :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.