Four Corners, House Rock spring 2012

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
iann

Re: Four Corners, House Rock spring 2012

Post by iann »

Fairly even year-round precipitation. I think the key may be that from about November to March much of it comes as snow. Now that's a form of precipitation that can really go a long way if you're a thirsty cactus.
--ian
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

First time I've not been able to view facebook photos on this site. Had to have a face book account to view. Also warned by security system to not view site. Sounds like a great trip Peter, wish you had called while in Kanab.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
peterb

Post by peterb »

hey Dean! I was in Kanab from 7 pm Sun to 6 am Monday. :-) I just never have any time in the spring because of my high school teaching! But someday. I am surprised that those links are acting up. I don't get why. Seems some people can see and some can't.

peterb
Zone 9
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Peter,
There has been a lot of discussion among Utah cactus taxonomists concerning the possible presence of Escobaria m. var. marstonii in northern Mojave Co, Arizona. The original type specimen was from Utah and was lost. Benson later named a new type from northern Arizona which later proved to be E. vivipara. Currently, Dr. Pinkava and others in Arizona do not recognized the taxon and it has not been found again in Utah. I doubt that any of the major cactus taxonomists in Arizona (other than possibly Marc Baker) have ever seen the plants you are referring to and it could be quite important in possibly recognizing the taxon to get a look at it. I've searched for it south of St. George towards Wolf Hole and along both the Hurricane Valley and Main Street Valley but have not seen the plant. Probably be easier if they are in flower. Hope you took photos and that I can get a look at them.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Whew! I only got halfway through, but these pictures are fantastic. The Pediocactus peeblesianus blooms are my favorite so far. Those and the colorful rock formations. Very cool. I'm not on facebook, but "Greg likes this"!
peterb

Post by peterb »

ha, well there is a thriving and very active and informed cactus community on Facebook and I have become a cactus evangelical to my normal friends there as well. :-)

peterb
Zone 9
vlani

Post by vlani »

"my normal friends" - I love the way you use words. :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

vlani wrote:"my normal friends" - I love the way you use words. :)
+1 / "daiv likes this too" -ha ha
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

BTW I couldnt get into the links last night either, and I could before. apparently Chrome was acting up. maybe I should try it in Firefox.. browsers these days all suck. They allow too many ads despite the adblocker plus, and I think they do weird things on purpose when you do try and make it so your entire page isn't covered with ads...

I was logged into Facebook at the time in another window, I dunno if they played a factor or not lolz.
nope
https://www.facebook.com/sorry.php?msg=account" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that is what I get
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.