New micro lens!

Discuss cameras, settings, composition, or anything related to photography - cactus or other subjects.
jnspire

New micro lens!

Post by jnspire »

I just bought a new Nikon 40mm Micro lens.

I decided between the 40mm and 60mm. The 40mm has the same size filter requirements as all of my other lenses and was about $400 lower in price. I have been using my 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses for all of the photos that I have posted thus far on the forum. But, hopefully I will do better with contests and closeups henceforth.

I am curious what lenses, cameras, and equipment others use? I am really into photography and have only reccently started using my pro camera to photograph my plants.
Last edited by jnspire on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jer.

-----
Moved to Hollywood, FL (hardiness zone 10b) in September 2022. Previously resided in Minnesota (zone 4b).
Harriet

Re: New micro lens!

Post by Harriet »

I'm using a Nikon D50 with an 80-400mm telephoto lens and a 28-80mm lens for "regular" shots. I also have a set of extension tubes for really close up shots.

As soon as my tax refund gets here (Wow! I can't believe I got one of those!) I am headed to the camera store to upgrade to a Nikon D7000. And since the refund is large enough, I'm getting the 18-105 lens that comes in the kit. (Rather than just getting the camera body.) The 18-105 is faster and takes more crisp photos than the D50 with the 28-80 lens, so I'm hoping for great improvement in picture quality.

I have been drooling over this camera for months now, I can't wait!

Which camera do you attach your new lens to?
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
jnspire

Post by jnspire »

I am currently shooting with a Nikon D60 (just noticed I never mentioned that). Your upgrade from D50 to the 7000 will be a nice one! There are a lot of improved features plus the HD video capacity is "EXCEPTIONAL" on par with higher end professional digital camcorders (priced upward of $2,500). My brother has a D90 and the video he has taken is Unbelievable!

The only reason I would upgrade from the D60 is for the video quality and some of the better lenses.

Are you planning on selling your D50?
Jer.

-----
Moved to Hollywood, FL (hardiness zone 10b) in September 2022. Previously resided in Minnesota (zone 4b).
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

jnspire wrote:
Are you planning on selling your D50?
I don't know. You interested? :)

Selling it might be hard to do ... like selling one's own child. I think I may keep it as a back up.
jnspire

Post by jnspire »

Having a backup camera is always nice.
I am not really in the market for one at the moment.
I guess I was just asking conversationally.
Jer.

-----
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

I've used a Nikon D40 since 2007 for stills. Even though its 6 megapixels I still don't see any need for a newer model yet. For lenses I have all old glass, the 28/3.5, 50/1.8, 55/3.5 micro, 135/3.5, 200/4. 95% of what I post here will be shot with the 55 micro lens. I can get shots like this with the 40 year old micro
glochids01.jpg
glochids01.jpg (29.45 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
Since the D40 has no video I picked up a used Panasonic G2 for that, its pretty bland (poor) as a still camera but its pretty darn good as a "Camcorder" especially if you use the hacked firmware for full manual video controls on it. Its not the type of camera you can flip on and go, it takes a little video smarts and patience for best results. The coolest thing is that I can use my old Nikon lenses on the Panasonic with an adapter. The picture of the moon below is a still frame from 720p hd video using the Nikon 200mm lens on the Panasonic G2
moon01.jpg
moon01.jpg (11.45 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I've been using my D50 since 2006. I figure I'm about 4000 clicks past the expected number of shots, and I wanted the newer optics for crisper and brighter shots. In addition to that I'm have the horrible personality that figures if I'm buying a new car it may as well have the big engine with the turbo charger, or getting a PC means newest and fastest microprocessors, so it only follows that a new camera would also have all the bells and whistles.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I have a Canon 400D (EOS rebel xti) with the 18-55mm kit lens and a 75-300mm zoom. Takes awesome pics, but not macro! I gave up trying to rig up for macro shots with a tripod and a bag full of gear. I find it much easier to use my pocket rocket (Canon SD1200) which takes great macro pics. Weighs less, easier to carry and i won't cry (much) if it gets a few scratches or gets broken.

I also have a very old Nikon coolpix, the one that twists/flips. Low on the megapixel chart but it takes incredible macro pics. However it eats batteries like mad.
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

[quote="CoronaCactus"
I also have a very old Nikon coolpix, the one that twists/flips. Low on the megapixel chart but it takes incredible macro pics. However it eats batteries like mad.[/quote]

Does it use AA batteries?
Robinj

Post by Robinj »

For pictures that might be uploaded on a forum or on facebook, i use a compact digital camera, for the rest i use a yashica 300 or a minolta XG-M.
Searching for these seeds:
Gymnocalycium andreae
Matucana madisoniorum
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

My camera is a Nikon D200. For macro work I have a 60mm Micro Nikkor and the now withdrawn 70mm-180mm Micro Nikkor, which I use most of the time.

http://www.bythom.com/70180Macrolens.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Usual set up is as in this first photo on a D200:-

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-a ... est-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also have other close-up gear like bellows, extension tubes, focusing slides etc.

I used a Nikon F2 Photomic film camera with a 55mm f3.5 Micro Nikkor for slides for 35 years before selling them and changing to digital.