Night lighting and its affect on cacti

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
tumamoc

Night lighting and its affect on cacti

Post by tumamoc »

OK-I've been driving past this poor spotlighted saguaro every morning on the way to work and it makes me wonder how much of an impact nighttime lighting has on cacti. This is an extreme case, but are we negatively affecting cacti when we keep them on a constantly lit porch?
saguaro spotlight.jpg
saguaro spotlight.jpg (33.84 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
gemhunter178

Re: Night lighting and its affect on cacti

Post by gemhunter178 »

Hmm....interesting..... :-k
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
iann

Post by iann »

Not just light:
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/ ... .2012.0230

I think you'd need pretty bright light to have an effect though. Brighter than a full moon, for example. That's not even a regular street light, is it? The cactus probably blocking a good proportion of that spotlight.
--ian
tumamoc

A different perspective

Post by tumamoc »

Hmmm. On second thought, it's probably this power pole that's causing this saguaro to lean 8-[ .
0817121131.jpg
0817121131.jpg (28.7 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
majcka

Re: A different perspective

Post by majcka »

tumamoc wrote:Hmmm. On second thought, it's probably this power pole that's causing this saguaro to lean 8-[ .
0817121131.jpg
Somehow I don't believe that. Because the wires are all over and it wouldn't know where to lean and just the bar doesn't cause it, right?
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I doubt light is making it lean, but depending on the plant even low levels of light can have an effect. The most dramatic I know about is Poinsettias. Growers cover their greenhouses in curtains at night because a street light or even car headlights for just 10 minutes can disrupt flowering.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

yes to make a poinsettia "bloom" it has to be in the dark for awhile. as for cacti, I dunno, I never really though much about it but I have some that stay on my porch with my light on all the time.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Saxicola wrote:I doubt light is making it lean, but depending on the plant even low levels of light can have an effect. The most dramatic I know about is Poinsettias. Growers cover their greenhouses in curtains at night because a street light or even car headlights for just 10 minutes can disrupt flowering.
Okay, here's an interesting question -- and not merely academic either. Today the street department installed a sodium vapor light on the pole right in back of where my plant bench sits. It's the sickly orange barf-glow kind. Didn't expect to see it, but I saw the bloody thing lit up tonight. Does anyone know if this will have any adverse effects on my cacti? Nothing I can do about the situation, but I'm hoping the light spectrum being generated isn't going to interfere with how they'd normally behave at night.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I highly doubt it will make any difference. I mentioned the Poinsettia thing because it is so unusual for a plant to be so strongly affected by ambient light as that plant. Even then, it doesn't affect the growth, it just goofs up the flowering a bit. Poinsettias are a major crop and production is amazingly well organized and timed, to the point where they know the exact day the plants will be ready for shipping based on the day they plant the cuttings months before.

Most plants aren't so touchy and most won't be affected at all. At worst if may throw off flowering a little bit... maybe.

That being said, it would be interesting to see if succulent Euphorbias had their flowering affected since Poinsettias are Euphorbia pulcherrima.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Saxicola wrote:I highly doubt it will make any difference. I mentioned the Poinsettia thing because it is so unusual for a plant to be so strongly affected by ambient light as that plant. Even then, it doesn't affect the growth, it just goofs up the flowering a bit. Poinsettias are a major crop and production is amazingly well organized and timed, to the point where they know the exact day the plants will be ready for shipping based on the day they plant the cuttings months before.

Most plants aren't so touchy and most won't be affected at all. At worst if may throw off flowering a little bit... maybe.

That being said, it would be interesting to see if succulent Euphorbias had their flowering affected since Poinsettias are Euphorbia pulcherrima.
Good news then. Now, if I had any night-blooming cacti, I'd be pretty ticked off. Luckily not a problem, although I'd be interested to know if any other members on the forum do run into it on their night-bloomers.

Thanks!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

For the sake of being thorough, here's a time-exposure photo of my plant bench under the sodium vapor light. Hopefully this should give you an adequate idea of the light intensity we're dealing with:
Sodium_vapor_light09182012.JPG
Sodium_vapor_light09182012.JPG (108.08 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
Any second opinions on whether or not the "barf-glow" light would have any effect on the normal growth of my cacti?

Thanks!