Strange Non-Rot Cavity in Mamm. laui v. subducta

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
hoteidoc

Strange Non-Rot Cavity in Mamm. laui v. subducta

Post by hoteidoc »

Discovered this this splendid 72f day on Spring Equinox in upstate NY :? I had just given this plant it's 1st good H20ing yesterday. It's been flowering since Thanksgiving. It was in the "cold" room (42 - 50f) with no water since before Christmas. Have given a couple of light H20ings since Mar 1 since room has been 60 - 75f.
Pic 1 - View of plant when walk in door
Mamm. laui v. subducta "normal"
Mamm. laui v. subducta "normal"
Mm-subducta-Sx_03202012_1053_1.JPG (232.67 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Noticed a depression spination on the most hidden spot - the slight underside on main orig. stem. Looked closer & I was looking in a cavern! But it was weird because no goo, no black, no smell....Got out scalpel blade & alcohol & gingerly sliced around edges. Here's first entry "port".
Mm-subducta-Sx_03202012_1049_3.JPG
Mm-subducta-Sx_03202012_1049_3.JPG (249.38 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Next are views (need laprascope :) ) into cavity. It was a sl. calloused over, but went down into stem. It appears to have self-healed. I'm sure it'll be susceptible, but for all appearences, it's a happy camper! :D Thought about dusting with sulphur power, but figured I'd end up getting toxic S levels! We'll see...
[attachment=1]Mm-subducta-Sx_03202012_1050_4.JPG[/attachment
After I saw the severe sunburn heal/recovery (forget who, sorry, but from AZ) that happened a year ago. Again the cacti immune system astounds me! :cheers:
Endless Life lessons from these creatures! :D
Peter]
Attachments
Mm-subducta-Sx_03202012_1050_4.JPG
Mm-subducta-Sx_03202012_1050_4.JPG (186.23 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Mm-subducta-Sx_03202012_1052_2.JPG
Mm-subducta-Sx_03202012_1052_2.JPG (174.85 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Tony

Re: Strange Non-Rot Cavity in Mamm. laui v. subducta

Post by Tony »

I have bought two other species of mammillarias that looked normal outside but were hollow on the inside.
One, a single headed M. rhodantha, eventually died and the other, Mammillaria marcosii, the hollow main head is gone but the offsets still live on.
very strange. :shock:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Thanks, Tony. I was sure it had been seen, but recently had lost a M. zeilmannia that had been going gang busters, lots of pups & then it started sagging...Was very happy to see what I saw, not what I was expecting. Now it's got Character! :D
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Melt In The Sun

Post by Melt In The Sun »

It almost looks like something burrowed into it...there's probably a monster hibernating in there! :shock:
DustBunny

Post by DustBunny »

I lost several mamms to something similar. In my case I found small dark beetles in the cavities and while I am not 100% certain, I highly suspect they were the ones that excavated the holes. I have not found these on any other types of cacti or succulent I grow just the mamms.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

I don't know what could have burrowed in -- totally indoor plant & only bugs I see in the house are flies & occas. wasp!. But after the physical "exorcism", I did "smudge" it to drive any bad spirits out! :wink: Plant hasn't missed a beat, still blossoming. As a veterinarian, it's fun to observe the substantial self-healing these plants have! No Plant Dr. house calls in the desert or 1/2 way up the side of the Andes! :lol:
Peter
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

Never know, 1000 baby scorpions might come pouring out of there! ;)

J/K - that's a common urban legend
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

That's what I have my "fierce" guard cats for! It looks like it had the "bends", because continues to be some internal splitting! But it just keeps on growing & flowering :D Some issues going on that make me almost feel like crawling in & chilling for awhile :roll: After all, the plant is in my meditation room. If there were baby scorpions crawling out -- at least I'd probably have grusonii's in the front yard! :wink:
Peter