Is an ID possible for this tiny cactus?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
JungleMel

Is an ID possible for this tiny cactus?

Post by JungleMel »

Hi all!
I picked up this baby of a cactus (1 inch pot?) from a local garden center. It's from Arizona East distributors. I e-mailed them about an ID, but I'm not sure they'll know or put me in contact with the grower who does. Can you guys help? Thanks for looking.

Tony

Re: Is an ID possible for this tiny cactus?

Post by Tony »

Its a deffinate possibility. :)
Gymnocalycium for sure, maybe Gymnocalycium anisitsii?
Repost when that flower opens up.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
JungleMel

Post by JungleMel »

Thanks for the quick reply! Absolutely will post with a flower pic, wasn't sure if that would help or if I had to wait for it to grow up a bit. One of it's neighbors in the tray had an open pink colored flower, not pale or dark, kind of a medium saturation of pink.
Erallie

Post by Erallie »

I think it's a Gymnocalycium, as well. Although, I think it's more likely to be a Gymnocalycium carminanthum. I'm new at this, though, but that's my best guess.
JungleMel

Post by JungleMel »

Thanks Erallie. It doesn't look like any Gymnocalycium species on the ID sites to me, so thank you for your input. I'm just glad to at least have a genus so I can look up cultural recommendations, better than nothing! Hopefully it'll flower soon and that'll help. If not I guess I'll repost in a year or two when it matures a bit, lol.