What should I do?!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
jackcnichols

What should I do?!

Post by jackcnichols »

I'm an absolute beginner at growing cacti, but this one I've recently inherited seems rather unhealthy. There is a long brown mark on one side (picture 1) I wondered whether this could be a scar? And then white marks on the other side, and a brown/whiteness at the bottom (pic' 2&3).

I'm not sure what any of it is, but I was wondering whether I should cut off the top and try to grow that from scratch in a new pot? The top seems much healthier than the rest of the plant.
picture 1
picture 1
Photo0222.jpg (42.92 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
picture 2
picture 2
Photo0223.jpg (34.9 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
picture 3
picture 3
Photo0224.jpg (39.2 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
Thanks in advance, Jack.
bruno

Re: What should I do?!

Post by bruno »

it looks like it does not like staying in that potting mix, you should check the roots if they are gone you' d better restart it as a cutting in a well drained mix. By the way where are you keeping it? Cactuses like open air and sun :wink: :)
bruno
jackcnichols

Post by jackcnichols »

Thanks Bruno, I'm working on the potting mix, just waiting on a delivery! How will I be able to tell if the roots are rotting/in a bad way? And it's on a south-facing window, getting plenty of sun and good circulation of air.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Looks healthy enough- nice shine to epidermis! Little corking/scar in the middle. Rotten roots are squishy (in cacto-lingo :) ) or just very sparse. If that's the case, then you back to the "making a cutting" stage. That columnar's roots should have some length to it. I just froze a Mexican Fencepost (@ 24") & in the process of checking everything to try to save something (couldn't ](*,) ), I checked the roots. Soil bone dry & root ball was the size of 2 hands cupped together. Soil would be the only issue & you're working on that :D ! Good Luck!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
jackcnichols

Post by jackcnichols »

Thanks a lot for the information! I'll have a look at the roots when I'm re-potting it, how long would I need to leave a cutting to dry out before re-potting it?
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

"If" you need to get to that, you'll probably need to dry it for @ least 2 - 3 wks. I usually "dip" the cut end in sulphur powder. Let's see if other comments or ideas come in. My growing soils over the last 2 yrs have changed from 50% potting soil/25% vermiculite/25% coarse grit to 20 - 25% potting soil, 25% coarse grit, 25% Turface or NAPA, 25% vermiculite. Minor variations for specific cacti.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!